Other formats

TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

COPY OF A LETTER IN THE “HOCKEN” COLLECTION, DUNEDIN

COPY OF A LETTER IN THE “HOCKEN” COLLECTION, DUNEDIN.

Rev. John Butler to Mr. Thos. Kendall.
KIDEE KIDEE,
Feb. 24th, 1820.

Dear Sir,

I think your journey to England is very ill-timed on many accounts. Several of us are just arrived in the country, and our settlement is in its very infancy, and we, of course, can have no knowledge of the language, and, therefore, require every assistance. Moreover, there is no object can justify you, in leaving your family unprotected in a heathen land. I should have thought you have suffered enough in your family heretofore to prevent you ever leaving them.

By taking away Shunghee, you take from us all our protection; the natives are exceeding rude now, but how much more after his departure. I greatly question whether we shall be able to live among them when he is gone, as I have no doubt but they will abuse us, and steal everything they can lay their hands on.

Further, to take Shunghee to England would be to act in direct opposition to the instructions of the Society, and I very much doubt whether he or yourself will live to return; I well know how very prejudicial the climate of England is to the health of a New Zealander. The Lexicon and Grammar I cannot spare, as I want them for my own use. I shall, D.V., be at Ranghee Hoo to-morrow, or Saturday, and shall be glad to converse with you (if you please), a little further on the subject.

Yours faithfully,

JOHN BUTLER.

page 74