Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Nelson, Marlborough & Westland Provincial Districts]



Seddon is a small township situated twenty miles from Blenheim, and was formerly a portion of the Starborough estate, which was purchased by the Government for closer settlement. It is situated immediately opposite the Starborough homestead, which still retaines the old name of the estate. The township has been cut up into half-acre and quarter-acre sections, and considerable building has been going on. Seddon is at present (1905) the terminus of the railway from Blenheim, but it is expected that by the year 1907 the line will be extended to Flaxbourne. A large town hall has recently been erected, and business has increased in every direction. There are three stores, two blacksmith-shops, a saddlery, a boarding house, and an hotel in the township. The business of the post and telegraph office is conducted at the railway station. A large State Nursery on the bank of the Awatere river, has been very successfully conducted; and the main south road from Blenheim, after crossing the Awatere by a fine steel and iron bridge, runs through the township. Seddon is the terminus and starting point of the Kaikoura-Blenheim coach, which runs twice a week.

Starborough Hotel (William A. Fuller, proprietor), Seddon, Marlborough. This hotel was established in the year 1897 by Mr. John Barrett, and was acquired by the present proprietor on the 1st of March. 1905. It is a two-storied wooden building, and contains twenty rooms, including eight double bedrooms—exclusive of those used by the family and servants—four parlours—three of which contain pianos—and a bathroom with hot and cold showers. The dining-room is capable of seating twenty-four guests, page 437 and the menu is first class in every respect. The bar is stocked with the choisest brands of wines, liquors, spirits, and ales, and the service is everything that could be desired. The hotel throughout is furnished with excellent taste, and the comfort of the guests is the first thought of the proprietor. Mrs Fuller ably looks after the comfort of lady guests. Horses and traps are on hire, and there are good stables, and a coach-house in connection with the establishment. The Starborough Hotel is the terminus and starting point of the Kaikoura-Blenheim coach, which leaves Seddon twice weekly, on Tuesday and Thursday mornings.

Mr. William A. Fuller , Proprietor of the Starborough Hotel, was born in Picton, and is a son of Mr. James Fuller, an old colonist of the district. He was educated at the Picton public school, and afterwards engaged in the butchering business. Subsequently, Mr. Fuller was for ten years in business for himself in Shannon and at Ohingaiti, in the North Island. He is a member of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and the largest shareholder in the Seddon public hall. At one time Mr. Fuller was largely interested in athletics, and was one of the promoters and playing members of the Awarua Football Club. As a member of the Awarua Cricket Club, he won a silver cup for the best batting average. Mr. Fuller married a daughter of Mr. William Carter, of Renwicktown, Marlborough, in the year 1893.
Fuller, James, General Merchant, and Storekeeper, Seddon, Marlborough. Bankers, Bank of New Zealand, Blenheim. Agent for Alliance Assurance Company, Royal Insurance Company, and Christchurch, Wellington, and Auckland weekly papers, and the Marlborough daily papers. This business was established in the
Protected. Opening of Seddon Railway Station. Macey, photo.

Protected. Opening of Seddon Railway Station. Macey, photo.

page 438
Mr. J. Fuller's Store.

Mr. J. Fuller's Store.

year 1899 by Mr. Fuller. The stock includes groceries, drapery, and cloting, boots, ironmongery, crockery, and fancy goods. The building is divided into two shops, with an office at the rear, and there are three large show windows for the display of goods. Carts are engaged in gathering produce as far south as the Clarence river, down the Awatere to the Jordan, and all about the surrounding country. Mr. Fuller deals in farm produce, sheepskins, wool, and other commodities, and upwards of 300 dozen eggs are shipped weekly to Wellington in the summer time.

Mr. James Fuller was born at Picton, and is the second son of Mr. James Fuller, an old settler of Marlborough. He was educated in Picton, and afterwards entered the service of Mr. Greensill, a general store-keeper at Picton. After six years, Mr. Fuller was appointed manager of a branch store at the Mahakipawa goldfields, Marlborough, where he remained for eleven years. While at Mahakipawa he was a member of the local school committee. Mr. Fuller is a member of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and the Marlborough Racing Club, and a steward of the Awatere Racing Club. As a Freemason, he is a member of Lodge Wartohi. Picton, No 111, New Zealand Constitution, and as a Forester he is a member of the Picton Court.

Lambert, Mrs S. A. , General Store and Post Office, Seddon. Established on the 25th of June, 1899. Mrs Lambert is doing a good business, and has stocked her store with articles to suit the requirements of the district. She has lived in the Awatere district for many years, and is highly respected. Her husband, Mr. David Lambert, formerly carried on
Mr. and Mrs D. Lambert.

Mr. and Mrs D. Lambert.

business as a blacksmith at Seddon He was born in Sussex, England, in 1846, and came to New Zealand in 1873. Mr. Lambert was in the Taranaki district for twelve years, and has lived in Marlborough for nearly twenty years.
Kirk, D. H., Storekeeper, Seddon. Mr. Kirk is a son of Captain Kirk. He was born in Hokitika in 1869, and educated at Nelson. Mr. Kirk was with Messrs Ward and Co., brewers, of Christchurch, for seven years, and, on severing his connection with that firm, he established the business now (1905) carried on at Takaka, Nelson,
Mr. D. H. Kirk.

Mr. D. H. Kirk.

by Messrs Robert Kirk, and Richard W. Kirk. He established his store at Seddon in 1905.

Schwass, Frank, Contractor, Seddon. Mr. Schwass was born in Germany, in 1840, and came to Nelson in 1843 with his parents. He resided in and about Nelson for eighteen years, during which he followed various occupations. After that he removed to Marlborough, where he was engaged by Mr. Eyes and other settlers, and latterly he has been leasing and cropping land as well as doing contract carting. Mr. Schwass keeps two waggon teams and a ploughing team going constantly; and owns in all twenty-seven horses. He is married, and has seven sons and three daughters.

Barnes, Frederick Samuel, Farmer. Seddon. Mr. Barnes is a son of the late Mr. Samuel Barnes, one of the earliest settlers in the Wairau. He was born in Blenheim, on the 8th of June, 1869, and was educated at the local Borough School. Mr. Barnes afterwards turned his attention to farming, and from 1886 till late in the nineties, he farmed property held on lease from Mr. Beaumont, the proprietor of the Starborough run. On the subdivision of that estate, he successfully applied for a section. His page 439 present holding embraces an area of 1100 acres of excellent agricultural and grazing country, upon which he conducts sheepfarming and agriculture. The homestead is an up-to-date and handsome building, pleasantly situated,
Macey, photo.Mr. F. S. Barnes.

Macey, photo.
Mr. F. S. Barnes.

and commands a fine view of the Awatere Valley. Mr. Barnes married Miss H. Hay, of Blenheim, in the year 1897, and has three sons and one daughter.

Dick, John B., Farmer, Seddon. Mr. Dick, who farms a section of 594 acres of the original Richmond Brook estate, near Seddon, was born at Tua Marina, on the 31st of August, 1872, and is a son of one of the early settlers. He was educated at the Tua Marina public school, and was afterwards engaged in farming with his father, until the sub-division of the Richmond Brook estate, when he successfully applied for his present holding. This property is, for the most part, undulating, and is well adapted for pastoral purposes. There is a permanent flock of 600 ewes, and about 1500 sheep are annually fattened for the market. A few head of cattle are also kept, and about 100 acres are annually put down in green crops. Mr. Dick is a member of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association, and is also a member of the Awatere school committee. He is married and has five children.

Macey, photo.Mr. J. B. Dick.

Macey, photo.
Mr. J. B. Dick.

Dollar, John, Farmer, “Glencairn,” Seddon, Marlborough. “Glencairn” is a farm of 700 acres, held on a lease in perpetuity from the Government. About 760 sheep are depastured, principally half-bred and crossbred Leicesters. The lambing has
Macey, photo.Mr. and Mrs J. Dollar.

Macey, photo.
Mr. and Mrs J. Dollar.

run as high as 122 per cent., and the average for the five years. [gap — reason: illegible]-1905, was 111½ per cent. About forty acres are laid down in root crops, chiefly turnips. Mr. Dollar was born in the parish of Campsie, Stirlingshire, Scotland, in the year 1861, and was educated in Lanarkshire. He was brought up to an agricultural life, came out to New Zealand in 1886, and landed at Port Chalmers. Subsequently, Mr. Dollar was employed by Mr. Macfarlane, of Coldstream, Rangiora, with whom he remained for eleven years. After farming on his own account at Woodend for three years, he acquired his present property, where he has since resided. Mr. Dollar has built a substantial residence of seven rooms, and numerous outbuildings, etc. He has been a member of the Awatere Road Board since the year 1900. Mr. Dollar married the second daughter of the late Mr. David Gibb, of Marshlands, Canterbury, in June, 1895, and has two sons.
Francis, Thomas, Farmer, Seddon. Mr. Francis is one of the oldest residents in the Seddon district. He was born on the 26th of February, 1841, at Mendlesham, Suffolk, England,
Macey, photo.Mr. T. Francis.

Macey, photo.
Mr. T. Francis.

and was educated at Chilton House Academy, Stowmarket. Mr. Francis was afterwards for three years in the merchant service, and then for two years conducted an hotel in London. In the year 1867, he emigrated to Australia, and in May of the following year, came to New Zealand. He worked for twelve months for Mr. Beaumont, of Kaikoura, and was then for one year and six months on Mr. J. C. Chaytor's sheep station, near the Clarence river. Mr. Francis subsequently returned to his former employer at Kaikoura. Shortly afterwards, Mr. Beaumont took over the Starborough run, and Mr. Francis continued in his service until 1898, when he acquired a small holding at Richmond page 440 Brook. On the subdivision of the Starborough estate by the Government, he was one of those who, in recognition of their long continued work on the estate, were allowed to select a block without the necessity of submitting to the ballot. His choice fell upon a 518-acre section of rich agricultural and pastoral land, on the bank of the Awatere river, and this property he has turned to profitable account. About 100 acres are annually placed under crop, and the remainder of the farm carrier about 1000 sheep, and twenty head of cattle. Mr. Francis is married, and has four sons and five daughters. All his sons are in the district; two are assisting him, one is farming on his own account, and the fourth is employed by Mr. J. Foster.
Gray, Charles, Farmer, Seddon Mr. Gray was born on the 24th of January, 1864, at Mortlake, Australia, where he was educated. He came to
Macey, photo.Mr. C. Gray.

Macey, photo.
Mr. C. Gray.

New Zealand when twenty years of age, and during the three years following his arrival he was engaged at general farm work on the Richmond Brook estate. For nine years subsequently he was engaged in agriculture on leasehold property, and on the subdivision of the Richmond Brook estate for close settlement, Mr. Gray, as a former farmer of the district, was allowed the straightout selection of a block. He chose his present farm of 191 acres of first-class land, and has since applied himself with considerable success to agriculture and sheepfarming. He was for several years a member of the local school committee. In September, 1888, Mr. Gray married a daughter of Mr. Thomas Francis, who is further referred to as a farmer at Seddon, and has four daughters.

Heard, George Thomas, Farmer, “Lion's Beck,” Seddon, Marlborough. Mr. Heard has an area of 436 acres, held on a lease in perpetuity from the Government. His stock includes 600 sheep, chiefly half-bred Merinos and Leicesters, and the lambing has averaged ninety per cent. The land is nearly all undulating, the soil being of a light loamy nature, and about thirty acres is devoted to the cropping of oats. Mr. Heard was born at Addington, Canterbury, in the year 1868, and is a son of Mr. George Heard, an old Canterbury settler. He was educated at Addington, and afterwards entered the workshops of Messrs Booth and Macdonald, of Christchurch, where he remained for two years. Mr. Heard was subsequently engaged in shepherding on the St. James Station, Hanmer Plains, and the Highfield station, in the Waiau. He acquired his present holding in April. 1899, and has since built a residence, and effected many improvements. Mr. Heard is an Oddfellow of many years' standing. He married the second daughter of Mr. William Dickens, an old settler of Cust, Canterbury, in June, 1893, and has one son.

Johnston, James, Farmer, Seddon, Marlborough. Mr. Johnston has a fine property of 444 acres of Government
Macey, photo.Mr. J. Johnston.

Macey, photo.
Mr. J. Johnston.

land, on which he depastures 700 Leicester crossbred sheep. The land is all ploughable, and the cropping of wheat, barley, and oats is carried on. The farm is bounded on one side by the Awatere river, and a fine view of the ocean can be obtained from the homestead. The dwelling-house and outbuildings are up-to-date in every respect. Mr. Johnston was born in Midlothian, Scotland, in the year 1854, and as a young man served an apprenticeship to the woollen manufacturing industry in Selkirk. He came out to New Zealand in the year 1882, and was for ten years employed by the Kaiapoi Woollen Company at its Kaiapoi mills. Mr. Johnston afterwards commenced dairy farming, near Eltham, Taranaki, where he remained for seven years. Subsequently, in 1899, he removed to his present holding. As a Forester, he is a member of Court Woodford. Mr. Johnston married a daughter of Mr. Angus Murray, of Oamaru, in the year 1902, and has one son.
Marfell, Richard, Farmer, “The Firs,” Seddon, Marlborough. Mr. Marfell has a farm of 369 acres of Government land, of which he has
Macey, photo.Mr. R. Marfell.

Macey, photo.
Mr. R. Marfell.

a nine hundred and ninety-nine years lease. The property, when originally taken up by Mr. Marfell, was covered with tussocks, which he has since cleared, and has also effected other improvements, including the building of a modern residence and outbuildings. About 500 Leicester crossbreds are depastured, and the lambing has averaged from 90 to 100 per cent. Barley, wheat, and oats are cropped, and the breeding of draught horses is also carried page 441
Harvesting on Mr. R. Marfell's Farm.

Harvesting on Mr. R. Marfell's Farm.

ried on. The land is undulating, but all ploughable. Mr. Marfell was born in Gloucestershire, England, in the year 1866, and was brought up to an agricultural life. He came to New Zealand in 1881, and landed at Lyttelton. For eight years afterwards, Mr. Marfell worked with his brother, who was managing a farm near Timaru. After a time spent in the North Island, gaining experience, he acquired his present holding in the year 1899. Mr. Marfell married a daughter of Mr. James Gammie, of Pleasant Point, Timaru, in the year 1887, and has seven sons and one daughter.

Meehan, Patrick, Farmer, Glenriff farm, Seddon. Mr. Meehan was born in December, 1856, in Donegal, Ireland, and is the eldest son of Mr. Thomas Meehan, formerly a stonemason, but at present (1905) a farmer in Ireland. He was educated at a public school, trained to agricultural and pastoral farming in his native place, and in the year 1875 came to New Zealand. For about six months Mr. Meehan was employed at various work in Auckland, and then went to Marlborough, where he finally settled. From that time till 1899 he termed several properties held under leasehold title in the Wairau, and, on the subdivision of the Starborough estate for close settlement, obtained his present holding, which includes two sections, situated about one mile apart, and contains, in all, 723 acres. The property is well and systematically worked, and is devoted chiefly to sheep-farming and cropping. Mr. Meehan is a member of the Wairau Hospital and Charitable Aid Board, the Awatere Road Board, and is a vice-president of the Marlborough Agricultural and Pastoral Association. While in the Wairau, he was a member of the Wairau River Board, and during his term of office the flood-escape channel was carried out by that body. Mr. Meehan married Miss Henrietta Morrin, of Tua Marina, in July, 1885.

Schwass Brothers (Arthur Schwass and Herbert Schwass), Farmers, Waggoners and Contractors, Starborough, near Seddon. Bankers, National Bank of New Zealand, Blenheim. The Messrs Schwass have a portion of the original Starborough estate. It has a frontage to the main road, and is all fanced and subdivided. The whole is open country, and is well watered even in the driest seasons. Throughout three or four hundred acres the soil is light and loamy, highly suitable for grain growing, and the Messrs Schwass propose to crop two or three hundred acres annually and stock the rest with good strains of crossbred sheep. The Messrs Schwass are prominent waggoners and contractors in Marlborough, and keep twenty-three horses in the collar, and have others in reserve at grass. Three large waggons are kept steadily going on the road, carting station produce and requisites for the run-holders, with whom they hold contracts. The Messrs Schwass were born in Nelson, have resided in Marlborough since their boyhood, and have followed waggoning and contracting since 1887. As footballers, the brothers do good work for the teams they represent from time to time.

Mead, Henry, Farrier and General Blacksmith, formerly of Awatere. Mr. Mead was born at Motupiko, Nelson, in 1869, and was brought up to his trade under Mr. R. Coleman, with whom he was for four years. Prior to taking over the Awatere business, he was engaged at Hillersden and Birch Hill stations, and was also in business on his own account at Blenheim. Mr. Mead left Awatere some time ago, and went to settle in the North Island.