The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Te Kiri is a dairy-farming district, with a local post office and public school. On Government maps the settlement is named Puniho. It is situated on the El-tham-Opunake road, six miles to the west of Eltham, and nineteen to the east of Opunake. The local storekeeper conducts the business of the post and telephone burean. A sawmill is at work a few miles from the settlement. Te Kiri lies south-by-west from Mount Egmont, is in the Opunake survey district of the Taranaki land district, and forms part of the Waimate riding of the county of Hawera.
The Te Kiri Public School was opened about the year 1899. It contains one classroom, and there is also a teacher's residence. The grounds are seven acres in extent. The number on the roll is fifty, and the average attendance is thirty-seven.
Mr. Frederic Arthur Bates, D3, was appointed Headmaster of the Te Kiri Public School in the year 1902. He was born in Northamptonshire. England, in 1879, and came to New Zealand with his parents at an early age. Mr. Bates was educated at Normanby, where he subsequently served as a pupil teacher. For about eighteen months he was a relieving teacher under the Wanganni Board, and was afterwards in charge of the Rangi-wahia school for three years before he received his present appointment. Mr. Bates is permanent secretary of the Opunake-Te Kiri Lodge of Oddfellows, and is secretary of the local sports committee, and football club.