The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Pungarehu is situated in the centre of an extensive dairying district, and is of great historical interest. It was formerly an armed constabulary station, and was the scene of much fighting during the Maori war in 1866. Pungarehu is in the Parihaka riding of the county of Taranaki, and is in the Cape survey district of the Taranaki land district, on the New Plymouth-Opunake mail coach road, twenty-seven miles south-west from New Plymouth. The settlement has two stores, a smithy, a public hall, a public school; and also a post, telegraph and money order office, a large dairy factory and flaxmills. Mail coaches pass north and south throughout the settlement.
The Pungarehu Public School stands on a section of two acres of land. The building is of wood and iron, with one class room and two porches. About thirty-five children are in attendance, and Mr, Ernest James Humphrey is headmaster.
Fleming, Michael, Farmer, Cape Road, Pungarehu. Mr. Fleming holds a farm of 650 acres, situated within a short distance of Pungarehu post office, and carries on dairying and grazing. He is further referred to as chairman of the Egmont County Council.