The Cyclopedia of New Zealand [Taranaki, Hawke's Bay & Wellington Provincial Districts]
Pihama is a fine dairy-farming district twenty-three miles to the west of Hawera, and seven miles to the south-east of Opunake, on the Hawera — Opunake — New Plymouth road. There is a daily mail service by coach with Hawera and Opunake. The settlement has a public school, and the business of the post and telegraph office, money order office and telephone bureau is conducted at the local store. There is a Presbyterian church, with a resident minister at Opunake, a public hall, two black-smiths' shops, and a dairy factory, which has three creameries. Pihama has a bowling club, and the racecourse of the Opunake Jockey Club is in the neighbourhood. The district forms part of the Oeo survey district of the Taranaki land district, and is in the Waitnate riding of the county of Hawera.
The Pihama Public School was opened in February, 1887, and has an attendance of fifty. There is a teacher's residence adjacent to the school. Mr. Frederick William Mason, the headmaster, is a well known teacher, who served for many years under the Wanganui Education Board. He is more fully referred to on page 1475 of the Wellington volume of this Cyclopedia.
The Pihama Co-Operative Dairy Company, Limited ; Offices, Opunate; Secretary, Mr. M. [gap — reason: illegible] Brennan. This company was established in the year 1897, and its record has been one of steady progress. The factory is situated at Pihama, and there are three creameries stationed at Skeet road, Taungatara, and Waiteika road. The main factory is a complete and up-to-date wooden building with concrete floors. Power is derived from a turbine wheel, which develops sixteen horse-power, and there is also a six horse-power Tangye auxiliary engine, and a twelve horsepower Murray boiler. The plant includes three Alpha de Laval separators, each of 440 gallons capacity; a Primus pasteuriser; a six feet butter worker; three churns of half a ton, seven hundredweight, and five hundredweight capacity respectively; and a two-ton Humble freezer and two Humble vats. The staff consists of a manager, a butter worker and two assistants. There is also a manager at each of the three creameries.
Mr. John O'Dea was appointed Manager of the Pihama Co-operative Dairy Company in the year 1903. He was born in Wanganui in 1878, and was brought up on a farm. He subsequently became assistant at the Awatuna Dairy Factory, where he worked for three years. For the following two years Mr. O'Dea was assistant in the Pihama factory, and was then for one year a butter maker at Mangorei before receiving his present appointment. He is a vicepresident, and a member of the Opunake Football Club, a member of the local Bowling Club, handicapper for the Opunake Caledonian Society and the Oaonui and TeKiri Sports Clubs, and has successfully competed as a distance and sprint runner in the Wanganui and Taranaki districts. Mr. O'Dea is married.
The Skeet Road Creamery Of The Pihama Co-Operative Dairy Company, Limited, is situated at the corner of the Skeet and Patiki roads. The plant includes an eight horse-power boiler, with a six horse-power Tangye engine, and a Crown separator with a capacity of 560 gallons, etc. The supply is about 1800 gallons per day.
Mr. Alfred Climo was appointed Manager of the Skeet Road Creamery in the year 1905. He was born at Norsewood, Hawke's Bay, in 1884, and was educated in the Rangitikei district, where he was also for some time engine driving. In 1902 he started dairy factory work as an assistant at the Bulls factory, and was subsequently manager of a factory in the Hunterville district, before receiving his present appointment.
Campbell, Samuel, Farmer, “Sea View.” Pihama. Mr. Campbell's property consists of over 1200 acres of good land. “Sea View,” the homestead farm, contains 800 acres, and is devoted to general farming. Another farm of 200 acres on the Waiteika road, and one of 200 acres on the Watino road, are devoted principally to dry stock. Mr. Campbell is further referred to as member of the Egmont County Council.
Conaglen, James, Farmer, Skeet Road, Pihama. Mr. Conaglen's property consists of two farms separated by the Skeet road. The homestead, “Wanvoe,” contains 113 acres, and the other, “Glencoe,” 298 acres. Dairyfarming is carried on. Mr. Conaglen takes a keen interest in the progress of his district, and is connected with various institutions. He is further referred to as a member of the Egmont County Council.