Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A compendium of official documents relative to native affairs in the South Island, Volume One.

No. 3. — Mr. William Wakefield, Agent of the New Zealand Company, to Mr. J. J. Symonds

No. 3.
Mr. William Wakefield, Agent of the New Zealand Company, to Mr. J. J. Symonds.

Wellington, March 27, 1844.

Sir,—

I have the honor to communicate to you the steps I have taken in pursuance of the arrangement sanctioned by His Excellency Governor Fitzroy for establishing a settlement in the Middle Island by the New Zealand Company, to facilitate which object, by assisting the Company's Agent in the acquisition of a suitable district of land, you received the instructions from His Excellency, with a copy of which he was pleased to furnish me.

Mr. Frederick Tuckett, late Chief Surveyor to the Company at Nelson, has been charged by me, on the part of the Company, with, the selection of the site, and with the purchase of the land from the Natives, with your approval and assistance, for the proposed settlement.

Mr. Tuckett has chartered the schooner "Deborah," 120 tons, for the purpose of conveying an exploring party, with provisions and materials for a house, to Port Cooper, from whence he purposes to examine the land in the neighbourhood of Banks Peninsula, and afterwards to proceed to Foveaux Strait and Milford Haven. He calculates that the time requisite for determining the place and allowing the "Deborah" to return to this place would be within sixty (60) days.

As it is a matter of importance that no time should be lost in treating with the Natives after the appropriate locality is selected, previously to the commencement of any surveying operations, Mr. Tuckett proposes to call here on his way from Nelson, for the purpose of inviting you to accompany him on his voyage. The "Deborah" was to leave Nelson on the 25th or 26th inst., and may therefore be hourly expected here. As soon as she arrives, I will wait upon you with Mr. Tuckett, to learn your wishes on the subject.

I have, &c.,

William Wakefield,
Agent of the New Zealand Company.

J. J. Symonds, Esq.