Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 16. — D. McLean, Esq., to J. W. Hamilton, Esq

No. 16.
D. McLean, Esq., to J. W. Hamilton, Esq.

Land Commissioner's Office. Auckland, November 4th, 1856.

Sir,—

I have the honour to enclose for your information, two translations of letters from the chief of Otakou in reference to claims advanced by them at Kaiapoi, which I shall thank you to return when you have done with them, as they are records of this office.

It would be desirable to consult the Kaiapoi Natives and enquire of them whether these claims should be recognized or not. If the claims are to be admitted, they must be paid out of the sum placed at your disposal for the adjustment of the Kaiapoi claim.

I regret that there is no Interpreter available at Auckland that could be detached to assist you in settling the troublesome question which you have kindly undertaken to negotiate and arrange; but, I trust you will be able to find an efficient person to assist you at Port Cooper.

The Private Secretary has referred to me your letter to him on this subject, and, I have no doubt, an authority will be transmitted to you by the Zingari for the employment of an Interpreter on such terms as you may deem expedient and reasonable.

I have, &c..

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

J. W. Hamilton, Esq.