Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 23. — J. W. Hamilton Esq., to D. McLean, Esq

No. 23.
J. W. Hamilton Esq., to D. McLean, Esq.

Lyttelton, January 19th, 1857.

Sir,—

Referring to your letter of 4th November last, and to Mr. Johnson's memorandum therein enclosed, I have the honour to state that I purpose applying the sum of £150 which I was authorised as Sub-Treasurer (by the Colonial Secretary's letter of 31st May 1856, No. 79) to advance to Mr. Johnson to the settlement of the Kaiapoi Land Question. I beg, however, that you will be kind enough, for the purpose of enabling me as Sub-Treasurer, to support my expenditure before the Auditor-General, by the proper authority under the last regulations, to move the General Government to issue the necessary authority to their Sub-Treasurer for this Province, with instructions as to what department on the Estimates the expenditure shall be charged against.

My reason for requesting this new authority is that the Estimates passed subsequently to Mr. Hall's letter of 31st May, appear to supersede it, and more recent Treasury regulations require very explicit authorities to be supplied.

I have received from Mr. Watson a sum of £150, placed in his hands for safe custody by Mr. Johnson, for which I shall account to the Auditor-General in du course. The amount was applicable to the Akaroa purchase.

I have, &c.,

J. W. Hamilton,
Agent for purchase of Native Land at Akaroa and Kaiapoi.

Donald McLean Esq., Chief Commissioner.