Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 32a. — D. McLean, Esq., to J. W. Hamilton, Esq

No. 32a.
D. McLean, Esq., to J. W. Hamilton, Esq.

Land Commissioner's Office, Auckland, March 31st, 1857.

Sir,—

I beg to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 16th January last, and have the honour to inform you that in accordance with your suggestions, instructions have been issued to have copies made of all the documents connected with the purchase of land in the Canterbury Province which will be transmitted through you to the Commissioner of Crown Lands, Canterbury, for record in that office, and for more immediate reference should occasion require.

The promise made to the Natives by Mr. Mantell of having the Kaiapoi old "Pah" tinted red, and marked off as a reserve on the maps of the Canterbury settlement, shall be fully carried out, and a copy of the plan given to the Natives.

Your suggestion relative to the sending of a competent and efficient officer amongst the Natives of Canterbury, I consider to be a very good one; the subject is now under the consideration of the Government, and so soon as I am in possession of their decision on the matter I shall inform you of what steps will be taken to effect an object of so much importance to the Natives of the Middle Island generally.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

J. W. Hamilton, Esq., &c., &c., &c.