Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 35. — J. W Hamilton, Esq., to D. McLean, Esq

No. 35.
J. W Hamilton, Esq., to D. McLean, Esq.

Lyttelton, Canterbury, June 8th, 1857.

Sir,

May I request yon to be good enough to ascertain whether the approval of Government has page 27been given to the vouchers enclosed in my letter to you of 19th February last, and to cause the vouchers to be returned so that I may account to the Sub-Treasurer here for the advances made to me.

I may be permitted also to observe that I have not received the approval of Government to the expenditure of the additional £50 advanced on my own responsibility in addition to the £150 authorized to be paid to the Kaiapoi Natives. This approval seems to be inferentially given, if I understand your letter of 1st April, rightly, viz., that I am to distribute an additional £200 (besides the £200 already paid) to the Kaiapoi Natives. As a matter of dry accounts, however, I should be glad to receive specific authority, the more so as acting in the double capacity of Sub-Treasurer paying out, and of Land Purchase Agent receiving charge of public money, the strict rules of a public audit might require a refusal of my vouchers as insufficiently supported by authority from Government.

I have, &c.,

J. W. Hamilton,
Agent for Native Land Purchase at Akaroa and Kaiapoi.

Donald McLean, Esq., Chief Commissioner, Native Land Purchase Department, Auckland.