Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 37. — J. W. Hamilton, Esq., to D. McLean, Esq

No. 37.
J. W. Hamilton, Esq., to D. McLean, Esq.

Lyttelton, August 6th, 1857.

Sir,—

Referring to my letters of January 8th, and February 5th, 1857, so far as they treat of the lands in this and the neighbouring Province of Nelson yet unpurchased from the legitimate owners residing at Kaikoura on the east, and at Arahura on the West Coast, I conceive it my duty as connected with the recent purchases at Akaroa and Kaiapoi to urge upon your notice the necessity for making early arrangements for sending a competent Maori scholar to Kaikoura and Arahura to obtain the surrender of the remaining Native lands in this Island. The recent gold discoveries at Nelson are so likely to raise the value of the land in the eyes of the Maoris to the most extravagant pitch, that I fear any delay in accepting their proposals to treat may end in totally preventing the acquisition of the land sought for by us.

I have, &c.,

J. W. Hamilton,
Late Agent for purchasing lands at Kaiapoi.

Donald McLean, Esq., Chief Commissioner,Native Land Purchase Department, Auckland. P.S.—From Christchurch to Arahura the journey is 10 days—from Arahura back is 14 days. The difference is owing to the time required in poling up the river.
In 1850, the Arahura people came to Kaiapoi with their women and children in 14 days. The journey can hardly be a very difficult one.
From Nelson to Arahura would probably require six weeks. The road is very dangerous.