Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 5. — The Chief Land Purchase commission, to the Assistant Native Secretary, Auckland

No. 5.
The Chief Land Purchase commission, to the Assistant Native Secretary, Auckland.

Napier, May 25th, 1859.

Sir,—

I have the honour to request that you will bring under the notice of His Excellency's Government, at your earliest convenience, the enclosed reports from Mr. James Mackay, Assistant Native Secretary, detailing his proceedinge in reference to the purchase of lands from the Natives at Kaikoura.

I also enclose the draft of the reply which I have sent to his communications, and have to request that you will take an early opportunity of applying to the Government for a refund of the sums advanced by Mr. Mackay out of his private funds, to the extent of £80; as also to obtain credit for the Sub-Treasurer at Lyttelton, for an advance of £20 made by that Officer to Mr. Mackay.

By this opportunity I also enclose the original Deed of sale, together with several other documents connected with the reserves which have been set apart for the Natives. All these should be carefully registered.

A proclamation should be inserted, in the usual form, in the General Government Gazette, to the page break page break page break page 37effect that this land will be open, after such a lapse of time as the Government may decide upon for sale to the public.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean.
Chief Commissioner.

The Assistant Native Secretary, Auckland.