Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

A Compendium of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs in the South Island. Volume Two.

No. 3. — The Under Secretary to James Mackay, Junr., Esq

No. 3.
The Under Secretary to James Mackay, Junr., Esq.

Native Secretary's Office, Wellington, June 18th, 1867.

Sir,—

Four Natives—Ihai Tainui, Arapata Horau, Wi Makarini, and Moroati—have come from Greymouth to Wellington to press a claim for further payment on account of the purchase of the West Coast Block which was effected by you in the year 1860. They state that, after the Deed was read to them, they asked for further payment, and that you replied, that that you could not give, but that they might apply to the Governor. They state, further, that they have always expected further payment.

As neither your report nor Deed of Cession gives any intimation of such an understanding as they seem to think has existed, I am directed to request you to state your recollection of what passed at the time of the purchase. I am further to request you to state whether there was any understanding as to taking roads over the reserves.

I have, &c.,

W. Rolleston,

James Mackay, Esq., Under secretary. Civil Commissioner, Auckland.