Other formats

    TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  


    mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Historic Poverty Bay and the East Coast, N.I., N.Z.

Te Kooti Misled

Te Kooti Misled

When the main party from Tutoko reached the Toanga Redoubt it crossed over to the western side of the river. Tutere Konohi (or Kapai), who was lying ill at his kainga at “Waitaria,” advised Wyllie and his companions to fly in the direction of Muriwai. Later in the day Te Kooti and some followers slew Tutere and one of his children because he refused to indicate the route which the fugitives had taken. Te Kooti then threateningly turned to Miriama (Tutere's wife). She proved as faithful as Tutere, but, being more astute, misled him by pointing to another track. Tutere's act of devotion might well have been marked by the erection of a suitable memorial. Miriama, who was granted a pension by the Government, lived to a great age.

It was on account of the fact that shearing was to have commenced that morning on Dodd and Peppard's run that the Europeans on the Mission station property at Waerenga-a-Hika received a timely warning concerning the raid. Sergeant-Major Butters, who was staying with Mr. and Mrs. Atkins, went page 262 across to “Repongaere.” about daylight. Upon reaching the woolshed he sharpened his shears. Then, finding nobody astir, he strolled up to the house, where he discovered the bodies of both partners lying outside their door. In all haste he returned to Waerenga-a-Hika to give the alarm. Spence, another shearer, who had intended to go to “Pukepapa” to assist A. Kempthorne with his shearing, had not left.

On the Whataupoko run, shearing had been completed the day before and the shearers—W. W. Smith, Bob Parkhouse, Dan Munn, Charlie Smale and Peter Moran—had risen early to proceed to “Ruangarehu” to commence work at G. Scott's woolshed. Munn and Moran, who had slept in their own whare some distance away, were surprised to find nobody at W. Parker's home when they got there at 5.30 a.m. A friendly native told them that the rebels had returned. Being sceptical, Munn decided to investigate. According to his own story (Hawke's Bay Herald, 14/11/1868) he met, near Toanga, a rebel who was talking to a friendly native and a lad. The rebel fired and the bullet pierced his shoulder. Munn's horse wheeled round and set off back. A second shot missed. When Munn reached Makaraka, Eruera Brown (a half-caste) gave him a drink, relieved him of his carbine, revolver and sword, and escorted him into Turanganui.

The settlers to the north of Waerenga-a-Hika received news of the raid from Arthur Kempthorne. Writing to his father at Auckland (12/11/1868), he said that, at 7 a.m., he set off on a visit to Turanganui. At Taureka he saw a number of people running about in an excited manner; he thought that they were trying to catch a swarm of bees. A native who had just reached the settlement then ran over to him and said: “You can't go any farther. The Hauhaus have broken into the bay and are killing everybody they can lay their hands upon. You had better get into Turanganui as quickly as you can by going round at the foot of the hills.”

Kempthorne galloped back to “Pukepapa” and he and his native boy went off to G. Scott's place to warn the people there. Scott, three workmen—D. Matthew, L. Farrell and J. Alexander —and two native women linked up with them, and they all went on to “Ngakaroa,” where J. B. Poynter, C. Evans and two carpenters—W. King and J. James—joined the party. Harawera, an old Hauhau chief, who, for some time, had been living very quietly in the locality, advised them to take a track which would lead them over a range into Turanganui. McDonald (Kempthorne's shepherd) was found not far along the road. On ascending the range what first attracted their attention was page 263 Dodd and Peppard's home in flames. It was quite dark when they got over the range and they camped for the night. Turanganui was reached early next morning.