Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Papers Relative to the Native Meeting Held at Peria, in October, 1862

2nd Day, Friday, October 24th

2nd Day, Friday, October 24th.

Long waiting in the morning; much private talk with some of the principal men.

W. Thompson asked about the opinion of the Duke of Newcastle. I told him that the Duke had written to say that there was no objection to Matutaera and his Council making laws, and presenting them to the Governer for confirmation, in the same manner as the Superintendents of Provinces. The idea seemed to strike him, and he announced it afterwards to the meeting.

12.30. The hopper of a steel mill, used as a speaking trumpet, sounded, for dinner, and we went into a long booth with two rows of low tables, set out with large slices of bread, and panni-kins, and containing about 130 persons. The waiters, including W. Thompson, passed in the open space between the two tables, replenishing pannikins with tea, and supplying bread and sugar— all very clean and orderly. Huge fires were at the end of the booth, with cauldrons of boiling water.

Business began at 1 p.m., W. Thompson coming forward and planting two sticks, one for the ayes, and the other for the noes, and announcing the subjects for discussion,—
1. Maungatawhiri.
2. Whaingaroa (Raglan).
3. Native Land Disputes.

The first and second subjects were a good deal mixed up, as being of the same nature, and a number of speakers rose in rapid succession, to deliver their votes on the same side, namely for stopping the roads (Kati), and their votes were registered by a teller, placing smaller sticks by the side of the negative pole.

page 10

Raharuhi o te awa a te Atua asked whether the Maories had anything to do with Maungatawhiri, as they had with the Waipa Road, referring to the opposition of Wiremu Nera Awaitaia.

Te Raita answered that the question of Maungatawhiri was only between Maoris and Pakehas. Speakers then began to give their votes for stopping the roads.

Hohaea Matata (of Whakatane)
Hoera (Ngatiporou)
Paraone (Tauranga)
Te Tauaroto (Ngaiteata)
Wiremu (Waihoa)
Kereopa (Rotorua)
Raharuhi (Te Awa o te Atua)

Wiremu Toatoa (Ngatikahungunu) thought that some of the speakers had gone too far, that they proposed a complete division between the two races, which could not be carried out.

W. Thompson (Ngatihaua)
Eparaima (Waiapu)
Pineaha (Ngatimaru)
Te Reweti te Mauotea (Tauranga)
Paora (Putatere)
Tawati (Tauranga)
Tawaha (Tauranga)
Tamihana (Awa o te Atua)
Perenara(ditto)

Hemi Matene (Tainui, Whaingaroa) asked what they would do if he made a road on his own ground. William Thompson answered in the same terms as his former letter to Wi Nera Awaitaia—" Waiho nga awaawa marama ai maku."—" Let the streams or gullies alone that I may be light." "Waiho nga Herehere marama ai moku."—" Let the forests alone that I may be light."

Wiremu Toetoe (Awamutu)
Te Pakanga
Te Herewini Ngatiho (Kohekohe)
Tioriori (Ngatihaua)
Pineaha (Hauraki)
Wiremu te Raho (Pukaki)
Karaitiana (Ngatikahungunu)
Karaka
Tuhoroa
&c., &c., &c.

A question then arose about three pieces of ground at Lower Waikato—

Takingawairua, Koheroa, and Meremere—

And it was answered, "Kihai i hokona takitahitia, kihai i whakaaetia e te iti e te rahi."—" They were not purchased, singly, they were not agreed to by small and great."

Wiremu Tamihana addressed the Governor as if present, referring to the prohibition of arms and ammunition as a reason for stopping the proposed roads. "He mea whakamate i a koe to paura he mea whakamate i au tenei (rori) he ara pu mau la tenei whaitua."—"Powder is a thing to kill with, the roads are a thing to kill mo with, for you to bring guns to this side."

Karaitiana reproved the "hikaka " of Hoera Ngatiporou, and deprecated their style of speaking. "Kia ata ki. E Ngatiporou. E Hoera, he tangata tauhou koe, me tou korero kua tae ahau ki nga iwi katoa, kahore he wahi o tenei whenua i toe i ahau, kei te pito rawa koe, ko ahau kei waenga nui."—"Speak gently, O Ngatiporou, O Hoera, you are a stranger, and Your speech is also strange, I have attended all meetings, there is no part of this land where I have not been; you are from one end; I am from the centre."

There was a good deal more, but at last William Thompson pronounced the decision of the meeting: "Kua oti te puru mo Waikato."—"Waikato is closed."

III. The third question was brought forward—"Ko nga Pakanga o tenei whenua kia waiho ma te ture e titiro, ma te whakawa e whakarite."—" All disputes in this land to be enquired into and judged by the law."

Some discussion arose upon this, and the debate was adjourned.