Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Correspondence Relative to the Manawatu Block

Enclosure 12 in No. 1. — Copy of a Letter from Mr. Rolleston to the Rev. R. Taylor

Enclosure 12 in No. 1.
Copy of a Letter from Mr. Rolleston to the Rev. R. Taylor.

(No. 471.)

Native Secretary's Office,
Wellington, 20th September, 1866.

Reverend Sir,—

I am directed by the Hon. Mr. Richmond to acknowledge the receipt of your letter of the 6th ultimo, stating that you had received information that Mr. Buller had obtained the signatures of your wards, the two sons of John Williams Hipango, to a paper purporting to be a surrender of their interest in certain lands in the Rangitikei Block.

On inquiry, the Government is informed that the signature of one of Hoani Hipango's sons has been so obtained, and that in this case the Native guardians of the boy brought him forward to sign the deed. Mr. Richmond directs me to state that the practice of obtaining the signatures of infants to deeds of sale has been generally adopted, and the Government do not see their way to upset an arrangement made, as they are informed, with the consent of the Native guardian of the boy, to secure a, reserve for the benefit of Hipango's sons, and will be obliged to you if you will furnish them with a copy of any map or plan in your possession showing their claims, and point out the spots where such a reserve had best be made.

I have, &c.,

W. Rolleston,

Under Secretary.

The Rev. R. Taylor, Wanganui.