Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Correspondence Relative to the Manawatu Block

[Enclosure 23 in No. 1.]

Enclosure 23 in No. 1.

page 14

Copy of a Letter from Rawiri Te Wanui to Major Edwards.

E hoa e te Erueti,—

Otaki, 14 Hepetema, 1866.

Tena koe. Tenei te pukapuka nei ka tukua atu nei kia koe he pukapuka no Rangitikei, mau e tuku atu ki te Kawanatanga, mau e titiro iho ki nga kupu, he pukapuka ki mai ki a matou ko nga pou rohe o to matou whenua i Rangitikei kua unuhia he ahakoa kaore matou e pouri kei te whakawa te tikanga, no te mea e mahi ana ratou i te aroaro o te Ture, me matou hoki e mahi ana i te aroaro o te Ture, ma te Ture e titiro te tika o ta ratou me te he, te tika o ta matou me te he, no te mea kua riro te moni i te kairuri. Heoi ano.

Rawiri Te Wanui,
Te Kepa Kerikeri,
Rota Tahiwi.

[Translation.]

Friend Edwards,—

Otaki, 14th September, 1866.

Salutations to you. Here is this letter now sent to you, a letter from Rangitikei for you to forward to the Government; you will look at the words, it is a letter informing us that the boundary posts of our land at Rangitikei have been drawn out. It is of no consequence, we will not be dark (sad); the decision is with the Court, because they are working in the presence of the law, as also ourselves, we are working in the presence of the law. The law will see (decide) the right or wrong on their part, also the right or wrong on our part, as the money has gone to the surveyor. That is all.

[Here follow three signatures.]