Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Correspondence Relative to the Manawatu Block

[Enclosure 25 in No. 1.]

Enclosure 25 in No. 1.

Copy of a Letter fromTe Ratana Ngahina to Judge Johnston.

Parewanui, Rangitikei,

10 Hepetema, 1866.

Ki a te Tiati Whakawa o Poneke,—

E koro tena ra koe te mahi na i nga ture o to tatou Kuini. Ki a rongo mai koe ko nga pou a Parakaia te Pouepa me ona hoa Hauhau kua turakina e matou ara e Ngatiapa i poua nei e ratou ki runga o to matou whenua i Omarupapako i Oteatatuhi i Himatanga i Paepae puta noa i Rangitikei i Oroua.

He mahi pokanoa no ratou ki runga i to matou whenua i hoatu nei e matou i te awatea ki te ringaringa o te Huparitene te whenua.

E hoa kaua koe e whakarongo ki nga korero tito a Ngatiraukawa ara a Parakaia ma. Ka mutu.

Te Ratana Ngahina,
Huria te Hakeke
Hamiora Taumaru,
Ntiku te Angi.

[Translation.]

Parewanui, Rangitikei,

To the Judge of Wellington, Sir—

6th September, 1866.

Salutations to you carrying out the law at that place, the laws of our Queen. Do you hearken. We, that is, Ngatiapa have thrown down the poles of Parakaia and his Hau Hau friends, which they placed on our land at Omarupapako, Oteatatuhi, Himatangi, and Paepae, as far as Rangitikei, and Oroua. It was in consequence of their meddling with our land which we gave in the light of day to the hand of the Superintendent.

Friends. Do not listen to the words of Ngatiraukawa, that is to say, of Parakaia and his friends.