Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Correspondence Relative to the Manawatu Block

[Translation.]

[Translation.]

30th April, 1866.

To Mr. FitzGerald,—

Salutations to you. I have seen our letter of the 14th of April. I saw it in the Wellington newspaper of the 28th April. That paper says that my mouth was large to speak in favour of holding the land, but that my hand had signed the paper selling the land. This statement of the Wellington paper is utterly false. I am always upon the anti-selling side; my hand did not grasp the pen; I did not write; nor did I even see that document.

Another word of that newspaper also states that, before all the words had been spoken we wrote our letter of the 14th April. This word of the newspaper is utterly false. On the evening of Saturday, the 14th of April—this was the day on which Dr. Featherston replied to our word— the mouths of all the holders back of the land had been closed, lest they should speak. The only question opened by Dr. Featherston that evening was their word regarding the sale of the land and the amount to be paid, whether it was to be greater or less. There was not one word left unsaid. Perhaps, however, it may have been that he entered into conversation with his friends on the subject of land selling on the Sunday; and how could we, being men of religious tendencies, hear what they had to say. We had nothing to do with that word of fixing the amount of the purchase money that we should join with them in discussing it.

On the morning of the 16th the meeting broke up.

That is all.

Henere te Herekau.