Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1894.

[The Native Land Claims and Boundaries Adjustment and Titles Empowering Bill.]

The Native Land Claims and Boundaries Adjustment and Titles Empowering Bill.

The Committee recommends:—
  • 1. That the Bill be allowed to pass as amended.
  • 2. That provision be made by a new clause to prevent any more of the Horowhenua land—viz., Horowhenua No. 6 Block, containing 4,620 acres, situated in the Waiopehu Survey District, being the whole of the laud comprised in Land Transfer certificate of title, vol. xlviii., folio 245, of the register-book of the Wellington District; Horowhenua Nos. 11A and 11B Blocks, containing together 14,975 acres, situated in the Moutere, Mount Robinson, Waitohu, and Waiopehu Survey Districts, being the whole of the land comprised in Land Transfer certificate, vol. xlviii., folio 249, of the register-book of the Wellington District—being sold until after the end of next session of Parliament. Part of the moneys in the hands of the Government, being the purchase-money of other parts of the Horowhenua Block, may be retained until the end of next session, and none be paid unless the Government is certain that there is sufficient land belonging to Warena Hunia which can be used, in case of judgment against him, to satisfy the claims of the tribe.
  • 3. That a Royal Commission be appointed as soon after this session as possible to investigate and ascertain who are the Maoris entitled to the disputed land in the Horowhenua Block.
16th October, 1894.
page 15

[Translation. ]
Pire Whakamana Take Paanga Whenua Maori Whakatikatika i nga Kereeme me nga Rohe.

E ki ana te Komiti:—
  • 1. Me tuku te Pire kia paahi me nga menemana.
  • 2. Kia whakaurua he rarangi hou hei tuku tikanga arai i—Horowhenua Nama 6 Poraka, e 4,620 nei eka te nui, i roto i te Takiwa Ruuri o Waiopehu, ara te whenua katoa i roto i te Tiwhikete Whakawhiti Whenua, i roto i te Pukapuka 48, Wharangi 245, o te Pukapuka Rehita o te Takiwa o Poneke; Horowhenua Nama 11A me Nama 11B Poraka, 14,975 nga eka, i roto i nga Takiwa Ruuri o Moutere, Mount Robinson, Waitohu, me Waiopehu, ara te whenua katoa i roto i te Tiwhikete Whakawhiti Whenua, i roto i te Pukapuka 48, Wharangi 249, o te Pukapuka Rehita o te Takiwa o Poneke, kia kaua e hokoa tae noa ki te mutunga o te tuunga o te Paremete e haere ake nei. Ko tetahi wahi o nga moni i roto i te ringa o te Kawanatanga, ara te moni o te hoko o etahi atu wahi o Horowhenua Poraka, me pupuri tae noa ki te mutunga o te tuunga o te Paremete e haere ake nei, a kaua e utua kia tino mohio ra ano te Kawanatanga kei te nui nga whenua o Warena Hunia i waho atu e ahei ana mo te mahi, mehemea hoki ka he ia i runga i te whakataunga, hei whakaea (taua moni e puritia) i nga kereeme a te iwi.
  • 3. Kia tere te whakatu i tetahi Roera Komihana i muri tonu i tenei tuunga o te Paremete hei uiuia hei kimi hoki ko wai ma nga Maori e whai paanga ana ki te whenua e tautohetia nei i roto i Horowhenua Poraka.
16 Oketopa, 1894.