Number One; or, The Way of the World
Clerical and Collegiate Directory
Clerical and Collegiate Directory.
Church of England.
- Bishop of Sydney and Metropolitan of
- Australasia—Right Revd. Frederick Barker, D.D.
- Dean and Archdeacon of Cumberland— Very Rev. Wm. Macq. Cowper, M.A.
- Canons of St. Andrew's Cathedral— Rev. Wm. H. Walsh, M.A.; Rev. Robert Allwood, B.A.
- Chaplains to the Bishop of Sydney— Rev. Robert Allwood, B.A, and Rev. Edward Synge, MA.
Clergy List of the Diocese of Sydney.
- St. Philip's—W. M. Cooper, M.A., Dean; G. H. Moreton, curate
- Christ's Church—Wm. Horatio Walsh, M.A., (Canon)
- St. Andrew's—George King, M.A.
- Holy Trinity—E. Rogers
- Redfern—A. H. Stephens, B.A.
- Balmain—W. Stack, B.A.
- St. Mark's, Alexandria—G.W. Richard-son
- Darlinghurst—Thomas Hayden, B.A.
- Surry Hills—H. S. King, B.A.
- North Shore and Lane Cove—W. B. Clarke, M.A.
- St.Peter's, Cook's River—E.J.Nixon, B.A.
- Camperdown—C. C. Kemp
- Bishopsthorpe, Glebe—W.Drake, M.A.
- Ashfield—T. H. Wilkinson
- Enfield and Burwood—M. D. Meares
- Cockatoo Gaol and Chaplain to Immi-grants—P. P. Agnew
- Paddington—E. Synge, M.A.
- Pyrmont—J. D. Brennan
- J. A. Burke, Head Master St. Philip's Grammar School
- Albury—Rev. R. Potter, B.A.
- Appin and Bargo District—H. D. D. Sparling, B.A.
- Araluen—C. H. Rich
- Abercrombie—T. Kemins
- Bathurst—Thomas Sharpe, M.A.; G. M. Fox, curate
- Berrima and Bong—James Samuel Hassell
- Bombala—E. Ford, B.A.
- Braidwood—James Allan
- Bungonia—E. B. Proctor
- Camden, Oaks, and Picton District— H. Tingcombe
- Canberry—G. P. Smith, M.A.
- Campbelltown—Edw. Smith, B.A.
- Carcoar—J. A. Boustell, B.A.
- Cobbity and Narellan—Thomas Hassell, M.A. (Colonial Chaplain)
- Collector—D. P. M. Hulbert
- Cooma and Maneroo District—T. Druitt
- Dapto—W. M. Simpson, M.A.
- Denham Court and Cabramatta—G. N. Woodd, B.A.
- Deniliquin—Ralph Barker
- Eden—William Allworth
- Emu, Castlereagh and Agnes Bank— T. W. Unwin
- Gundagai and Wagga Wagga—R. W. Young, Deacon
- Goulburn—William Sowerby; Curate, R. Leigh
- Hunter's Hill—A. H. Bull, M.A.'
- Hartley—John Troughton
- Jamberoo—P. J. Smith
- Kelso and O'Connell Plains—M. Lisle
- Kiama & Geringong—F. Ashwin, B.A.
- Liverpool—W. Hodgson, Principal of Moore College
- Ditto—Chas. E. D. Prindle, Incumbent of Holdsworthy
- Louisa Creek—W. Coombes
- Moruya—David Evans Jones, M.A.
- Mudgee—James Gunther
- Mulgoa & Greendale—G., Yidal, B.A.
- Orange—Robert H. Mayne
- Parramatta—W.F. Gore, B.A.; R. L. King, B.A.; Frederick Armitage. M.A. (Head Master King's School)
- Pennant Hills, Dooral & Castle Hill-Arthur Douglas
- Penrith & South Creek—Elijah Smithpage xlix
- Pitt Town and Wilberforce—Thomas Wilson, B.A.
- Prospect and Seven Hills, T. Donkin, B.D.
- Queanbeyan and Bungendore—Alberto Dias Soares
- Richmond and Currajong—John Elder
- Ryde—George Edward Turner, S.C.L.
- Sofala—H. A. Palmer
- Sutton Forest—Thomas Horton
- Tumut District—"William Fox
- Ulladulla and Shoalhaven—John Steele
- Wellington Valley District—H. De
- Lisle; H. Garvin, B.A.
- Windsor and Clydesdale—H. T. Styles, M.A.
- Wollongong—Thomas Campbell Ewing Yass—Archdeacon Synge
- Registrar of the Diocese—Jas. Norton, Esq, Elizabeth-street, Sydney
- Secretary to the Bishop and Deputy Registrar— Mr. H. K. James, office, King-street, Sydney
Diocese of Newcastle.
- Bishop of Newcastle—The Right Rev. William Tyrrell, D.D. Canons of the Cathedral, Newcastle.
- Rev. C. P. N. Wilton, senior Chaplain; Rev. G. K. Rusden; Rev. K. Boodle, Examining Chaplain
- Black Creek and Lochinvar—L. Tyrrell
- Brisbane—E. K. Yeatman; B. E. Shaw
- Brisbane Water—A. Glennie
- Clarence River—A. E. Selwyn
- Darling Downs—B. Gunnie
- Hexham—R. T. Bolton
- Jerry's Plains—J. Cooper
- Liverpool Plains—E. Williams
- Lower Hawkesbury—R. J. Boulton
- Maitland, West, St. Mary's—R. Chap-man
- Maitland St. Paul's—J. R. Thackeray
- Maitland East—J. A. Greaves
- Morpeth—R. G. Boodle (Canon)
- Murrurundi, St. Paul's—J. J. Nash
- Muswellbrook—J. A. Greeves
- Newcastle—C. P. N Wilton
- Newcastle St. John's—L. H. Rumsey
- New England—S. Hungerford
- Patterson—F. W. Adams
- Port Macquarie—T. O'Reilly
- Raymond Terrace—J. R. Bloomfield
- Scone—Coles Child
- Singleton—J. Blackwood
- Stroud—S. Simm
- Warialda—F. R. Kemp
- Wide Bay—E. Postlethwaite
- William River—Arthur Wayn
- Wollombi—J. F. R. Whinfield
Roman Catholic Church Clergy of the Archdiocese.
- Archbishop—His Grace the Most Rev. John Bede Polding, D.D., O.S.B.
- Vicars-General—J. Keating, and J. A. Sheehy
- Archdeacon— The Ven. J. McEncroe.
- St. Mary's —The Very Rev. D. V. M.
- O'Connell, Dean; J. A. Sheehy, O.S.B.
- St. Patrick—Rev. Jerome Keating: P. Newman.
- St. Benedict—Rev. M. A. Corish.
- Sacred Heart—Rev. T. Sheridan; M.
- Walsh, Rev. J. A. Sheehey, O.S.B. Suffragan Bishops.
- Right Rev. P. B. Geogeghan, D.D., O.S.F., (Adelaide).
- Right Rev. W. Wilson, (Hobart Town).
- Francis Goold, C.S.A. (Melbourne).
- Dom Seira, O.S.B., (Perth).
- Dom Salvado, O.S.B., (Victoria).
- Balmain—Rev. J. J. Therry.
- Petersham—Rev. P. Birch.
- St. Leonards—Rev. — Powell, D.D.
- Albury—Rev. C. Toomy.
- Appin—J. Maher,
- Araluen—E. O'Brien.
- Armidale—T. McCarthy, J. Dunne.
- Bathurst—J. J. Grant, D.D., (Dean).
- Berrima—P. Magennis.
- Brisbane—J. Rigney, (Dean); J. Hart-ley.
- Brisbane Water—H. N. Wolfrey, O.C.
- Campbelltown—J. P. Roche, O.S.B.
- Carcoar—B. Murphy.
- Cooma —M. Kavanagh.
- Goulburn—R. Walsh
- Hartley—J. Phelan
- Kelso—W. Lanigan
- Kiama—P. Young
- Liverpool—J. D. D'Arcy
- Maitland, West—J. T. Lynch, (Dean)page l
- Maitland East—J. Kavanagh
- Maneroo—M. Kavanagh
- Mudgee—C. M'Carthy, P. White
- Newcastle—C. V. Dowling, O.S.D.
- Orange—P. White
- Parramatta—J. B. Sumner, O.S.B., (Dean).
- Penrith—M. Brennan
- Port Macquarie—J. O. Quinlan
- Quanbeyan—W. Kavanagh
- Raymond Terrace—E. Luckie
- Ryde—J. L. Rocher
- Singleton—P. Birch
- Sofala—D. M'Guinn
- Windsor—P. Hallinan, D.D.
- Wollongong—W. A. Johnson
- Yass—P. Bermingham and M. M'Alry
Wesleyan Church. New South Wales District. Ministers.
- Sydney, (North)—G. Hurst, T. Beazley, W. Hessell
- Sydney,(South)—T. Oram
- Sydney,(East)—J. Eggleston, William Schollfield
- Newtown—S. Robson, S. Ironside
- General Secretary of Missions—The Rev. J. Eggleston
- Chairman of New South Wales District—Rev. S. Rabone
Primitive Methodist Church.
- Crown-street, Kent-street & Glebe— R. Hartley, 34 College-st., Hyde Park
- Newtown—Jabez Longford
- Camden—Charles Waters
- Morpeth—George James
- Newcastle—William James Dean
- Goulburn—James Causeland
- Jarawa—John Addison
- Increase for the past year:—Members, 8,251; ministers, 65; local preachers, 546; leaders, 435; connex. chapels, 101; chapels, 92; Sabbath Schools, 126; scholars, 8,252; teachers, 1,805
Hebrews. (Synagogue, York-street).
- President—Mr. N. Mandelson
- Treasurer—Mr. S. A. Joseph
- Reader-Rev. A. A. Levy
- Committee-Messrs. P. Cohen, S. Emanuel, S. Hoffnung, J. Lazarus, E. A. Levy, I. Myers, S. Samuel, L. Spyer
- Auditors— Messrs. D. L. Levy and S. S. Myers
- Secretary—Mr. De Lissa
- Collector and Beadle—S. Goodman (Synagogue, Macquarie-street)
- President—S. Cohen, Esq.
- Treasurer—Mr. H. S. Cohen
- Reader—Rev. S. Phillips
- Committee—Messrs. S. Cohen, J. P. Cohen, J. G. Raphael, E. Phillips, L. Lipman, E. Moses, J. J. Levy, S. Davis
- Beadle and Synagogue Keeper—L. Nathan
Synod of Australia.
- (In connection with the Church of Scotland.)
- Moderator of Synod—Rev. J. Dugall
- Clerk of Synod—Rev. J. Milne
- Agents for Sites, &c.—Rev. J. Fullerton, LL. D., Sydney.
Ministers, Presbytery of Sydney.
- St. Andrews—John Dugall
- Pitt-street South—J. Fullerton, LL.D.
- Woolloomooloo—John M'Gibbon
- Paddington—J. Milne
- Campbelltown—W. M'Kee
- Wollongong—C. Acheson
- Shoalhaven—J. H. Garvin
- Port Macquarie—E. Holland
- Parramatta—James Coutts
- Windsor—M. Adam
Presbytery of Maitland.
- Maitland—William Purves
- Newcastle—James Nimmo
- Hinton—Robert Blain
- Singleton—J. S. White
- Paterson—Thomas Stirton
- Manning River —
- Armidale—Thomas Johnson
- Walcha—John Morrison
- Muswellbrook—Duncan Ross
Presbytery of Goulburn.
- Goulburn—William Ross, S. G. Fields, A. S. Pennicuik
Presbytery of Bathurst.
- Bathurst—J. B. Laughton, W. G. Fields, A. A. McEwan
- Upper Lachlan—James Adams [Two secessions have taken place, viz., that of Dr. Lang, in 1842; and that of the Synod of Eastern Australia, on Free Church Principles, in 1846.]
Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia.
- (Maintaining the principles of the Free Church of Scotland).
- Moderator of Synod—Rev. Charles Ogg, Brisbane
- Clerk of Synod—Rev. A. M. Sheriff, Clarence-town
- Treasurer—M. Buyers, Esq., Sydney
- Sydney — Macquarie-street, and St. George's, Gastlereagh-street — A. Salmon and Macintosh Mackay, LL.D.
- Chalmers' Church—J. L. McSkimming
- Richmond, Castlereagh, and Penrith— J. Cameron, AM.
- Bowenfels—S. E. Mackenzie, A.M.
Presbytery of Maitland.
- Maitland—W. McIntyre, A.M.
- Clarence Town and Dungog—A. M. Sheriff (P.C.)
- Wellingrove—A. Cameron
- Brisbane—Charles Ogg
- Singleton and Upper Hunter — J. McCulloch
- Manning River—Allan McIntyre
Presbytery of Illawarra.
- Shellharhour and Terry's Meadows— Hugh M 'Kail
- Kiama and Jamberoo—John Kinross
- Shoalhaven—W. Grant, A.M.
Synod of New South Wales.
- Moderator—F. Fitzgerald Ministers.
- Sydney Scots' Church—John Dunmore
- Lang, D.D.; John Reid
- Tumut—Patrick Fitzgerald
- Manning River—William Ridley
- Lower Hunter—William Chaucer
- Murrurundi—Alexander Black
- Warwick and Darling Downs—Thomas Kingsford
- Balmain—T. Gordon
United Presbyterian Church.
- Sydney, Phillip-street—Rey. A. Thomson.
- Albury—Rev. D. H. Ballantyne.
- Sydney Pitt-street—Robert Ross, M.L.
- Sydney W. Cuthbertson, B.A.
- Redfern—William Slayter
- Surry Hills—S. C. Kent
- Newtown — — Hill
- Woollongong—G. Charter
- Near Campbell's Wharf. Minister—Vacant
- Macquarie-street. Minister—Rev. G. H. Stanley
- Sydney—Revs. J. Voller, Bathurst-st.; S. Emery, Goulburn-street
- Hinton—Rev. P. Lane
University of Sydney.
- Visitor—His Excellency the Governor-General
- Senate-Provost—Sir Chas. Nicholson, D.C.L. Oxford, LL.D. Cambridge
- Vice-Provost—J. L. S. Merewether, B.A., Cambridge
- Fellows—Rev. C. Allwood, B.A., Camb.; the Hon. G. Allen; P. Faucett; Alfred Denison; E. Deas Thomson, C.B.; Rev. M. Purvis; Most Rev. Archbishop Polding, D.D.; J. Hubert Plunkett, B.A., T.C.D.; B. O'Brien, M.D.; James Martin, Esq.; James McArthur.Esq.; H. Grattan Douglas, M.D.; S. A. Donaldson, Esq.
- Principal—Professor of Classic and Logic—John Woolley, D.C.L., late Fellow of University College, Oxford.
- Mathematics and Natural Philosophy—Morris B. Pell, B.A., late Fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge
- Chemistry and Experimental Physic—John Smith, M.D., Fellow of the Chemical Society, London, and late assistant Professor of Chemistry, Marischal College, Aberdeenpage lii
- Assistant Professor of Classics—Hugh Kennedy, Esq., Balliol College, Oxford
- Reader in French—Monsieur P. Dutruc
- Registrar—H. Kennedy, Esq., Oxford
- Esquire Bedell—W.C. Windeyer, M. A.
Examiners, Sydney University. classics.
- The Professor—His Honor H. Oary, M.A., Worcester College, Oxford
- The Professor—Rev. W. Scott, M.A., Sydney Sussex Coll., Cambridge
Chemistry and Experimental Physics.
- The Professor—Ed. Greenup, M.D., Cambridge
- Cecil Stephen, John Bowman, & John Perry, Esqrs.
- Classics—Sir Daniel Cooper
- Mathematics—J. Barber, W. Cowlishaw, and E. Deas Thompson, Esqrs.
- Experimental Physics—F. H. Quaiffe
Faculty of Medicine.
- Dean—John Smith, M.D.
- Examiners — A. A' Beckett, George Bennett, R. Greenup, M.D., John MacFarlane, M.D., J. Robertson, M.D., John Smith, M.D., George West, and Charles Nathan, Esqrs.
Faculty of Law.
- Reader in General Jurisprudence—The Hon. J. F. Hargrave, M.A., Trinity College, Cambridge.
Suffragan Colleges. St. Paul's.
- Visitor — The Right Rev. the Lord Bishop of Sydney, D.D.
- Warden— H. J. Hose, Esq., M.A.
- Bursar—Michael Metcalfe, Esq.
- Fellows—Rev. R. Allwood, B.A.; H. Brown.; W. T. Cape, Esq.; W. Dumaresq, Esq.; A. T. Holroyd, Esq., M.B.; R. Johnson, Esq.; Sir Daniel Cooper; Rev. W. B. Clarke, M.A.; Charles Kemp, Esq.; Rev. G. King, B.A.; M. Metcalf, Esq.; Hon. J. Mitchell; Charles Nathan, Esq.; Rev. A. H. Stack; Robert Tooth, Esq.; Rev. W. H. Walsh, M.A.
- Moore College, Liverpool, is not connected with the University: it was founded by the late Mr. Moore, of Liverpool. The College certificate is equivalent to that of the Sydney University, and a sufficient preliminary for the Bishop's ordination examination.
- Principal—Rev. Wm. Hodgson, MA., Sydney Sussex College, Cambridge
St. John's College (Roman Catholic).
- Visitor — The Most Rev. Archbishop Polding, D.D.
- Rector — The Very Rev. D. V. M. O'Connell
- Fellows—E. B. Corish, Esq.; Rev. M. A. Curtis; W. Davis, Esq.; W. Faucett, Esq.; P. Gorman, Esq.; J. V. Gregory, Esq.; the Right Rev. H. Abbot, D.D.; J. Hart, Esq.; J. E. Heydon, Esq.; Rev. J. Keating; A. Lenehan, Esq.; the Very Rev. Archdeacon M'Encroe; Thomas M'Kinnon, C.B.A.; Richard O'Connor, Esq.; J. H. Plunkett, Esq.; Revs. J. F. Sheridan and J. Therry.
St. Mary's College. Lyndhurst,
- In connection with the Roman Catholic Church.
Professors and Masters.
- Theology—Rev. S. A. Sheehy, O.S.B.
- Latin and Greek—Rev. J. N. Quirk, O.S.B.; Mr. O'Riley; Rev. W. T. Dwyer, O.S.B.; Rev. J. P. Fitzpatrick, O.S.B.
- Mathematics—Rev. J. H. A. Curtis, O.S.B.; Mr. O'Riley.
- Modern Languages—Mr. O'Riley; Rev. J. H. A. Curtis, O.S.B.; Rev. J. A. Byrnes, O.S.B.—Junior Department, Mr. O. Farrel.
- Singing—Rev. J. H. A. Curtis
- Pianoforte—Mr. Anderson
- Violin—Mr. Friedlander
- Drill—Mr. Quinlan
St. Andrew's Presbyterian College.
- About £8,000 were subscribed towards this College 5 a Bill was intro-page liiiduced into the Assembly by Mr. Hay, and referred to a Select Committee, who, having taken evidence, decided against it.]
National Board of Education. Office, Upper Fort-street
- Commissioners—Sir Charles Nicholson, Kt.; Hon. G. K. Holden;. Smith, M.D.; G. W. Allan; M. A. Duncan, Esq.
- Officers—W. C. Wills, Secretary; W. Wilkins, Inspector and Superintendent; H. Robertson, Architect; W. McIntyre, Organizing Master.
Denominational School Board. College-street.
- Chairman—G. Allen, Esq.
- Members—J. Dunsmure, Peter Faucett, G. McLeay.
- Secretary—C. E. Robinson.
Sydney Grammar School. College-street. Trustees.
- Official—The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, the Hon. the Attorney-General, the Hon, the Speaker of the House of Assembly, the Provost of the University, the Senior Professor of Classics and Mathematics.
- Elected-Thomas Barker, E. Cox, A. T. Holroyd, G. S. Macleay, M.P., the Hon. James Martin, and G. A. Allen, Esqrs.
- Secretary—W. H. Catlett
- Head Master—W. J. Stephens, M.A.
- Mathematics—E. Pratt, B.A.
- Foundation—E. Whitfield, M.A.
- Junior Classical—W. Heaven, B.A.; E. Blackmore; J. Howthorne; T. Kinlock; J. Mills, Esqrs.
- English—J. Mills, Esq.
- French—Monsieur Dutruc
- Drawing—Mr. Brees
St. Mary's Seminary.
- St. Mary's Road, College-street.
- Patrons—His Grace the Archbishop, and the Right Rev. the Vicar-General
- President—Rev. S. A. Sheehy, O.S.B.
- Professor of Mathematics — W. W. Casey, Esq.
- Professor of French and English—W. Dolman, Esq.
- Professor of Classics—R. Bailly, Esq.
- Junior Department—Mr. D. O'Callaghan
Protestant Orphan School, Parramatta.
- Master—J. A. Betts
- Matron—Mrs. Betts
- Schoolmaster—C. Johnson
- First Teacher—Miss Crawley
- Second Teacher—Miss Barnes
- Drill Master—Mr. Johnson
Roman Catholic Orphan School, Parramatta, for Both Sexes.
- Committee of Management—The Right Rev. Dr. Gregory, J. Macnab, James Hart, and R. O'Connor, Esqrs.
- Matron—M. A. Adamson
Sidney Hebrew School. Pitt-street,
- President—D. Moses, Esq.
- Treasurer—Mr. Samuel
- Hon. Secretary—Mr. L. Lipman
- Head Master and Teacher of Hebrew— Mr. A. A. Levy