Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

Declaration of James Wathen Preece.I, James Wathen Preece, of the City of Auckland, in the Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand, a duly licensed Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868," "The Native Lands Act, 1869," and "The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870," or some one or more of them, do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1. That I was present together with James Mackay, junior, of Auckland aforesaid, Native Land Purchase Agent, a male adult, and John William Richard Guilding, of Shortland, in the said Province and Colony, Land Agent, also a male adult, and did see Kerei te Tuhi Te Toroire Hare Renata Tauhinu and Tautoru tawa, all mentioned and described within the within-written Deed, sign, seal, execute, and deliver the said Deed, and also sign the plan annexed thereto and hereto and marked A, being the plan of the "Hotoritori Block," mentioned and referred to in the said above-written deed.
2. That the signatures "Kerei tetuhi" "teto roire" Hare Renata "tau hi nu" and "Tautoru Tawa," set and subscribed to the said above-written Deed and plan annexed thereto and hereto, are the proper handwriting of the said Kerei Te Tuhi, Te Toroire, Hare Renata Tauhinu and Tautoru Tawa respectively, and that the seals set opposite to the said signatures in the said above-written Deed were affixed thereto by them respectively.
3. That the signature James Mackay, jr., "J. W. R. Guilding," and "J. W. Preece," set and subscribed to the said above-written Deed and plan annexed thereto and hereto, as the witnesses attesting the due execution thereof respectively, are of the respective proper handwriting of the said James Mackay, junior, John William Richard Guilding, and me this declarant respectively.
4. That immediately before the execution of the said Deed and plan by the said parties as aforesaid, I did interpret the same to them in the Maori language, and explain to them in the Maori language that the plan annexed thereto and hereto was the plan mentioned and referred to in the said Deed, and my translation and explanation thereof was correct and understood by the said parties so signing, sealing, executing, and delivering as aforesaid.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of the above-mentioned Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand, and of a certain other Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

J. W. Preece.

Made and declared at Shortland, in the Province aforesaid, this sixth day of September, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-two. Before me—

Henry Goldsmith,

A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.