Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

Translation

Translation.

We the undersigned People of Ngatitamatera do fully consent to demise to Sir George 1868. 19 December.Thames District. Ferguson Bowen Governor of New Zealand all our pieces of land at Ohinemuri for Gold mining purposes for that Governor and those whom he may appoint and the Governors who shall succeed him and their assigns. The conditions under which the Ohinemuri. said lands are demised shall be similar to those for the Gold-Fields at Hauraki. The Gold Fields Agreement. boundaries shall be described at a future period.

Signed by us at Pukateanui Ohinemuri this nineteenth day of December 1868.

(Signed) Rapata te Pokiha, and 57 others.

Witness to marks—

(Sd.) C. T. F. B. de Thierry.

On behalf of the Governor I consent to all the conditions of this agreement.

(Sd.) James Mackay,
Civil Commr.

To Mr. John Thorp.

Te Puke,

October 26,1868. I will give over my piece of Gold (auriferous land) to Mr. Mackay really, really:Note to Mr. John Thorp. there is no person to jump forth to retain it after me.

(Sd.) From Te Whano Potae.
To Mr. Mackay.

Papaturoa, December 23, 1868. Mine is a word to you—do you think of me when you have reached your rejoicingNote to Mr. James Mackay. (when you have obtained your wish). O friend my word to you is, the Kauri trees of Waitekauri. For one hundred let one hundred pounds be paid to me, however the arrangement is with you—All.

From your friend,

(Sd.) Te. Wano Toiwhare.

Ohinemuri 19 December 1868. Friend the Governor. 1 have consented that the gold of Ohinemuri shall be yoursTaraia's consent. but I still have the land—you have the gold only. (l.s.)

Taraia Ngakuti x his mark.

Witness to signature—

(Signed) Br. C. F. De Thierry, L.T.

1253d. Received for Registration at 11.27 a.m., 5 May, 1870.Registration. (l.s.)

M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Agreement, Translations, Notes, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, August 10th, 1875.