Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of Herbert William Brabant]

[Declaration of Herbert William Brabant]

Declaration of Herbert William Brabant. I, Herbert William Brabant, of Opotiki, Resident Magistrate, do solemnly and sincerely declare,—
  • 1. That I am a duly certified Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," "The Native Lands Act, 1867," and "The Native Lands Act, 1873."
  • 2. That I was present and did see Rangikohera, a party to the within-written instrument, sign the same in my presence, and that of William Thomas Mason, Clerk to the Bench.
  • 3. That previous to the signing of the within instrument by the said Rangikohera it was carefully translated into the Maori language and explained to the said Rangikohera by me in the presence of the said William Thomas Mason, when the said Rangikohera appeared fully to understand the effect and meaning thereof.
  • 4. I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of certain Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

Herbert W. Brabant.

Declared before me, at Opotiki, this 8th day of June, 1875—

William Kelly,
A Justice of the Peace.

Commissioner’s certificate. I, William Kerr Nesbitt, the Trust Commissioner under, "The Native Lands Fraud Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Poverty Bay, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed (with, respect to Rangikohera), made the enquiries directed by the said Act, and that I am satisfied with the result of such enquiries.

W. K. Nesbitt,
Trust Commissioner.

24th June, 1875

A True Copy of Original Deed, Declarations, and Certificates.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, August 13th, 1875.