Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of William Joseph Young]

[Declaration of William Joseph Young]

(2200 Stamp 2/6 13-1-74) I William Joseph Young of Auckland in the Province of Auckland in New Zealand Maori Interpreter do solemnly and sincerely declare:— Declaration of Wm. J. Young.
1.That I hold a certificate duly authorizing me to act as Interpreter under the Native Lands Act 1865 and the various statutes amending or affecting the same and that such certificate is in full force and effect.
2.That I was present together with David Stewart of Shortland Thames in the said Province of Auckland, settler, and did see Repiu Tokata and Reupena Tahura two of the parties to the within Deed sign and execute the same and that immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Repiu Tokata and Reupena Tahura I did faithfully interpret the same to them into the Maori language, and that my translation thereof was correct and was understood by them.page 440
3.That the names David Stewart and Wm. J. Young set and subscribed as those of the witnesses attesting the execution of the said Deed by the said Repiu Tokata and Reupena Tahura are of the proper handwriting of the said David Stewart and of me this declarant and that the said David Stewart is a male adult.
4.That I was present together with Alfred Edmonds of Mercury Bay in the said Province of Auckland settler and did see Wiremu te Huia and Ereatara Tinirau two of the parties to the within written Deed sign and execute the same and that immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Wiremu Te Huia and Ereatara Tinirau I did faithfully interpret the same to them into the Maori language and that my translation thereof was correct and was understood by them.
5.That the names A. Edmonds and Wm. J. Young set and described as those of the witnesses attesting the execution of the said Deed by the said Wiremu Te Huia and Ereatara Tinirau are of the proper handwriting of the said Alfred Edmonds and of me this declarant and that the said Alfred Edmonds is a male adult. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of an Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled The Justices of tho Peace Act 1866.

Wm. J. Young

Declared at Auckland in the Province of Auckland in New Zealand this twenty-ninth day of December, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three. Before me

J. J. Wilson,
One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.

Trust Commissioner's certificate. I Theodore Minet Haultain the Trust Commissioner under the Native Lands Frauds prevention Act 1870 for the District of Auckland do hereby certify that I have with respect to the within written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed made the enquiries directed by the said Act and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such enquiries. Dated this 2nd day of November, 1874.

T. M. Haultain,
Trust Commissioner.

I hereby certify that the first annual payment of duty in respect of this land has been paid.Judge's certificate.

F. D. Fenton,
Chief Judge.

Nov. 10, 1874.