Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deed Receipts—No. 59.]

Deed Receipts—No. 59.

Kaihau Block, Manukau District.

Kua riro mai inaianei i a matou i tenei ra i te rua tekau ma rua (22) o nga ra o Hune 1854. 22 June. Manukau District. i te tau o to tatou, Ariki Kotahi, mano e waru rau e rima tekau ma wha (1854) e toru Kaihau. tekau pauna mom takitahi (£30) na te Makarini i homai hei utu mo tetahi whenua o matou kei Manukau e takoto ana tona ingoa ko Kaihau.
Ko nga rohe anei ka timata ki Wairere i te moana o Manukau ka rere whakauta Boundaries. Pukekaroro ka rere te Pakeakauahi ka watiia ki Omapihi ka whatiia i Omapihi puta tonu atu ko Koropepeke ka haere tonu i te Moana o Manukau tutaki noa ki Wairero—ka hono M te kaha timatanga.

Na kua tukua rawatia atu tenei whenua e matou ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarani ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei o muri iho i a ia ake tonu atu.

No te rironga mai o enei moni i tuhia ai o matou ingoa me o matou tohu.

A e toru hoki tekau pauna moni (£30 . 0 . 0) e takoto ake nei mo te otinga o te ruritanga o te whenua ka homai ai ki a matou.

Hori Tauroa.
Heta Te Pouku.

Kai Titiro—

John White, Interpreter.
Archd. A. Mclnnes, Clerk in Native Dept.
John P. Russell, Wairarapa.

Translation.

We have received on this 22nd day of June in the year of Our Lord 1854 the sum of 1854. 22 June. Kaihau. £30 from Mr. McLean in payment for certain land of ours at Manukau called Kaihau. These are the boundaries: Commencing at Wairere in the Manukau Harbor thence Receipt for £30, first instalment. inland to Pukekaroro thence to te Pukeakauahi it turns off here and goes to Omapihi, Boundaries. page 740it turns off from Omapihi and goes to Koropepeke thence along the shore of the Manukau Harbor to Wairere the commencing point.

Now we entirely give up this land to Victoria the Queen of England and to the Kings or Queens who may succeed Her for ever.

For the receipt of this money we have hereunto subscribed our names and made our marks.

The sum of £30 is still due to us. When the survey of the land is completed it will be paid to us.

[Signatures.]

[Witnesses.]

Correct Translation.

T. E. Young,
Translator, Native Department.

[Receipt]

1854. 22 July.Manukau District.Kua riro mai ki a matou i tenei ra i te rua tekau ma rua (22) o nga ra o Hurai i te tau 1854 nga pauna moni kotahi tekau ma rima pauna (£15 . 0 . 0). Ko te utu whakamutunga mo tenei wahi e tuhia nei nga rohe ki tua o tenei pukapuka.

Wetere Kauwai x.
Na Kepa.
Na Arama Karaka.

Kaihau. Kai Titiro—

Receipt for £15, final instalment.John White, Interpreter.

Translation.

1854. 22 July.Kaihau.We have received on this the twenty second (22nd) day of July, in the year 1854, the sum of fifteen pounds £15 sterling, being the last and final payment for the lands comprised Receipt for £15, final instalment. within the boundaries contained within this Deed.

Wetere Te Kauae x.
Na Kepa.
Narama Karaka.

witness—

(Sgd.) John White, Interpreter.

True Translation—

John Grant Johnson, Acting for Chief
Commisr., December 28th, 1865.

A True Copy of Original Receipts and Translations.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, August 4th, 1875.