Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[untitled]

I, James Grindell, of Napier, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, in the Colony of NewDeclaration of James Grindell. Zealand, a Licensed Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare,—
1.That I am a duly licensed Native Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1867."
2.That I was present on the fifth (5th) day of October, one thousand eighty hundred and seventy-one, when the within-named Peeti te Awe Awe, Hanita te Awe Awe, Henere te Herekau, Wata Tohu, Pataromu te Kaka, Ihaka te Rangi, Hamuera Maraetai, Ihipera Hanita, Henere Mahukihuki, Ngakuku, Hoani Meihana, Mikaera te Rangiputara, Rorana Pehi, Epiha te Rimunui, Wi Waka Kahukura, Marakaia Tawaroa, Wi Tinitara, Tapatu Matene, Mateni Ruta, Karaitiana te Korou, Erihapeti Wakamairu, Tiheirangi, and Wiremu Matai, all aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written agreement and the translation thereof annexed hereto; and before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said agreement to them, and that they appeared perfectly to understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of Richard Booth, of Wellington, an adult European.
3.That the annexed translation marked (A) of the said agreement is a true and correct translation thereof.
4.That I was present on the sixth (6th) day of October, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-one, when the within-named Ereni te Awe Awe, Neri Puratahi, Pehira te Aokautere, Urapana Pakaha, Horomona Paro, Te Koeti Harakoa, Wetere Taeora, and Huru te Hiaro, all aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written agreement and the translation thereof annexed hereto; and before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said agreement to them, and they appeared perfectly to understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of Richard Booth, of Wellington, an adult European. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, under and by virtue of the provisions of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

James Grindell.

Declared at Wellington the seventh day of October, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one. Before me—

G. S. Cooper, J.P.

No. 13826.
Received 1 p.m. Saturday, 7th October, 1871. (l.s.)Registration.

John E. Smith,
Registrar of Deeds.

I, Charles Heaphy, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds PreTrust Commissioner's certificate. vention Act, 1870," for the District of Wellington, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries.

Charles Heaphy,
Trust Commissioner.

Dated this 18th day of March, 1878.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Agreement, with Translation, Commissioner's Certificate, and Endorsements.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 20th, 1878.