Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 100. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir G. F. Bowen to the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley

No. 100.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir G. F. Bowen to the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley.

Arrival of tie Duke of Edinburgh in Auckland. Government House, Auckland, N.Z., 10th December, 1870.

My Lord,—

I have the honour to report that, in pursuance of the orders of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, and Commodore Stirling, commanding Her Majesty's Naval Forces on the Australian Station, Captain His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh arrived at Auckland on the 8th instant in the "Galatea," which will remain here about a month.

• 2. His Royal Highness, during his previous visit in 1869, made so favourable an impression on both the English and the Maoris that all classes of the community are very glad to see him again. The Duke has kindly consented to become again my guest at the Government House. Next week I shall accompany His Royal Highness on a tour to the famous hot lakes and springs (resembling the geysers of Iceland), on the east coast of this Island. These lakes are in the country of the loyal clan of the Arawas, who have fought so long and so gallantly for the Crown, and whose loyalty will be at once rewarded and confirmed by a visit from "the son of the Queen" (te tamaiti o te Kuini), as they affectionately style the Duke of Edinburgh.

I have, &c.,

G. F.Bowen.

The Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley.