Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 108. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir G. F. Bowen to the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley

No. 108.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir G. F. Bowen to the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley.

Inauguration of Waka Nene's Monument. Bay of Islands, New Zealand, 19th March, 1873.

My Lord,—

In continuation of my Despatch No. 24, I have the honour to report that I took my final departure from Auckland yesterday afternoon. My family and I were accompanied to the place of embarkation by the principal public functionaries and local authorities, by the public bodies, by the page 112friendly societies, and by many thousands of all classes of the community. The demonstrations of regard for us, and of regret at our departure, were very lively and affecting.

• 2. This morning the "Hero" stopped for a few hours (as previously arranged) at the Bay of Islands, to enable me to unveil the monument of Tamati Waka Nene, I annex the substance of the address delivered by me on this occasion. The ceremony was performed in the presence of the chiefs and clansmen of the Ngapuhi and of the other Maori tribes of the North; and of a large concourse of the leading colonists, who had assembled to pay honour to the memory of their firm friend and gallant ally.
  • 3. I am unable to write at length, for the "Hero" is ready to proceed forthwith on the voyage to Australia. I will only add that it is an interesting fact that my last despatch from New Zealand should be dated from the Bay of Islands, which Has filled so prominent a place in the early annals of this country; and that my last public act here should be a mark of respect to the memory of the Maori chief who was mainly instrumental in procuring the cession of the sovereignty of these Islands to the British Crown.

I have, &c.,

G. F.Bowen.

The Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley.