Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Hobson to the Secretary of State for the Colonies

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Hobson to the Secretary of State for the Colonies

Bay of Islands.Reporting Proceedings taken to obtain Signatures to Treaty. Government House, Russell, Bay of Islands, 15th October, 1840.

My Lord,—

Referring to my Despatch No. 3, of the 25th May last, I have the honour to report to your Lordship that I have received ample and full reports from all the gentlemen whom I commissioned to treat with the Native chiefs for their adherence to the Treaty of Waitangi; and to enclose to your Lordship copies of those reports, together with a certified copy of the Treaty of Waitangi, both in English and the Native language, with the names inserted of the chiefs and witnesses who signed it, with the exception of some chiefs whose names are affixed to a copy of the treaty intrusted to Mr. Whiteley, as reported in Enclosure No. 5 by Captain Symonds, which has not yet reached me. The originals of these documents are preserved amongst the archives of the colony.

I have, &c.,

W. Hobson.