Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Copy of a Despatch from. Governor Hobson to the principal Secretary of State for the Colonies

Copy of a Despatch from. Governor Hobson to the principal Secretary of State for the Colonies.

Manukau.Report of the Death of Captain W. C. Symonds, H.M. 96th Regiment.

My Lord,—

Auckland, 16th December 1841

It is with extreme regret I have to report the death, by drowning in the Manukau, of the late Captain Symonds, of the 96th Regiment, which occasions a vacancy in the office of Deputy Surveyor-General of this colony. The loss to New Zealand of so valuable an officer as the late Captain Symonds will be long felt as a public calamity. His energy, zeal, and manly bearing are qualities much wanted in a new colony, and these he possessed in an eminent degree; in addition to which, his urbane manners secured for him the affection and respect of all classes, both Native and European.

I have the honour to enclose a paragraph, cut from a newspaper, which describes more particularly the melancholy event which consigned this excellent officer to a premature grave.

I have, &c.

W. Hobson.