Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 46. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor Grey to Earl, Grey

No. 46.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor Grey to Earl, Grey.

General Report.

My Lord,—

Auckland, 27th June, 1848.

I have the honour to state that the confusion which has resulted from the destruction of Government House and my office by fire upon the 23rd instant, prevents me from forwarding my despatches by this opportunity; but it may be gratifying to know that the "Calliope" arrived yesterday from the Bay of Islands, reporting that portion of New Zealand to be in a completely tranquil and prosperous state; and that a few days since I received despatches from Lieutenant-Governor Eyre reporting that the southern district continued perfectly tranquil, and that it was advancing rapidly in prosperity.

Through the exertions of Mr. McLean the land question at Whanganui had also been finally adjusted, which will enable the Government at once to put the New Zealand Company in possession of the land which they claim in that district, and puts an end to the only question which appeared likely to cause disturbances at that place.

In the neighbourhood of Auckland perfect, tranquillity prevails, and this portion of New Zealand is in a very prosperous state. Under such a favourable state of circumstances in the colony, I trust, therefore, that the non-transmission of my despatches by this opportunity will not cause your Lordship any anxiety or inconvenience.

I have &c;

The Right Hon. Earl Grey, &c. G. Grey.