Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 49.]

No. 49.

[Extract from New Zealand Gazetted]

Colonial Secretary's Office,

Auckland, 6th June, 1850.

His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief directs the publication, for general information, of the following despatch, received in reply to petitions from the European inhabitants of the District of Auckland, and from various Natives, against the introduction of exiles or convicts into New Zealand.

By His Excellency's command.

Andrew Sinclair,
Colonial Secretary.

Enclosure.
Copy o£ a Despatch from Earl Grey to Sir George Grey, Governor-in-Chief

page 52
Auckland.Reply to Petitions against Introduction of Convicts into New Zealand.

Sir,—

Downing Street; 27th November, 1849.

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your Despatch No. 84, of the 7th July last, accompanied by petitions to Her Majesty from the European inhabitants of the District of Auckland, and also from various Natives, against the introduction of exiles, or convicts with tickets-of-leave, into. New Zealand.

I have to inform you that these petitions have been duly laid before the Queen. I am enabled to state that the wishes of the petitioners are anticipated, for, as you will have learned from my other Despatch No. 77, of the 26th instant, there is no intention of sending any convicts to New Zealand.

I have &c;

Governor Sir George Grey, &c Grey