Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir Richard Bourke, K.C.B., to Lord Glenelg

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir Richard Bourke, K.C.B., to Lord Glenelg.

On British Settlement in New Zealand. Government House, Sydney, 9th September, 1837.

My Lord,

While awaiting the measure which your Lordship has recently announced an intention of resuming for the parliamentary regulation of the intercourse between British subjects and New Zealand, it may be proper to lay before His Majesty's Government whatever information I am able to procure upon this difficult question.

With this view, having lately had occasion, in consequence of a war breaking out between two tribes near the Bay of Islands, to request Captain Hobson, commanding His Majesty's ship "Rattlesnake," an experienced and judicious officer, to repair to New Zealand to afford to British subjects resident there and to British shipping such protection as might be required, I proposed to him to make known to me on his return the opinions which his observation whilst there might lead him to form upon the present state of New Zealand, and the means of securing, with the least possible overt interference, the common interests of the Natives and of the British settled amongst them. This request has been complied with in the letter of which a copy is transmitted, and which appears to me to contain suggestions of great value. Captain Hobson proposes the introduction of commercial establishments, confined within certain limits, upon a plan resembling the factories of the early trading companies resorting from Europe to India, and within which limits resident British subjects shall be placed under the protection and obligation of their own laws; premising, as an inflexible condition that nothing whatever be established on the part of the British Government which is not cheerfully conceded on terms of clear mutual interest by the Natives. The details of the proposed measure may be varied to suit whatever circumstances may arise; and this without giving any reasonable cause for jealousy on the part of the other States, or exciting alarm in the breasts of those philanthropists who so creditably and powerfully advocate the rights of the aborigines all over the world. It is neither possible nor desirable to put a stop to the growing intercourse between the English colonies in those seas and New Zealand, the extent of which will appear by the accompanying return. If the British Resident were withdrawn, which I represented in a former despatch to be au alternative preferable to his being left there without adopting some further measures to secure the professed objects of his appointment, the public might indeed be warned that the trade of New Zealand was to be carried on at their own hazard; but it would be difficult for His Majesty or for this Government to act for any length of time upon the stern principle of non interference, if the lives or property of British subjects appeared to be in jeopardy. Any plan, therefore, by which intercourse may be sufficiently regulated, and usurpation, real or apparent, avoided,—providing at the same time for its support without drawing upon the revenues of this colony,—is well worthy of serious consideration. I confess that I am unable to submit a better arrangement than this, which Captain Hobson has proposed, and therefore beg to recommend his letter to your Lordship's attention.

With Captain Hobson's report I have the honour to transmit the copy of a letter received by his hands from the Resident, Mr. Busby, describing at considerable length the present condition and character of the New Zealanders, and the manner in which they are affected by the intercourse of Europeans. This letter contains suggestions for the future proceedings of Great Britain towards New Zealand, which are not without value, but which would probably be found difficult to reconcile with some of the peculiar circumstances affecting the matter under consideration. Mr. Busby recommends that Great Britain should undertake the protection of New Zealand, and for this purpose should maintain British troops on the islands; but, though this undertaking should be commenced with the greatest good-faith and purest intentions, it would be open to misinterpretation, and in a remote country, where it is hardly to be expected the law would be very efficiently administered, it might be eventually perverted by British subjects to selfish purposes.

A part of Mr. Busby's letter being taken up in the description of the Native war to which I have alluded, and which alarmed him for the safety of the European inhabitants, I am happy to be able to show, by the copy of a letter since received from him, that peace is now restored. Your Lordship will perceive with pleasure that it has (I believe for the first time in New Zealand) been effected without the loss of human life by way of retaliation, or as the price of accommodation: a piece of land being accepted in compensation of an aggression which had caused the death of a woman belonging to one of the belligerent tribes.

I take the present opportunity of stating that the Baron de Thierry, who was mentioned in your Lordship's despatch of the 26th August last, is at present in Sydney, where he arrived on his way to New Zealand to seek possession of a large tract of property which he claims to have acquired by purchase. He has complained to me that the spars for the use of the navy, to be furnished to His Majesty's ship "Buffalo," now proceeding hence to New Zealand, are cut on his land; but I have, declined interfering in any way in the matter. Nor have I considered it my duty to interpose any obstacle to his proceeding to New Zealand, of which country he claims to be a chief by right of his purchases. He denies all intention of prejudicing the interest of Great Britain, and professes a reliance upon moral influence alone for the authority he expects to acquire among the New Zealanders.

I have, &c.,

Rich. Bourke.