Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 70. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle

No. 70.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle.

Governor Grey's Departure from the Cape. H.M.S "Cossack," 15th August, 1861.

My Lord Duke,—

I have the honour to report to your Grace that, in consequence of your instructions that I should proceed with as much despatch as possible to assume the government of New Zealand I applied to Admiral Sir Baldwin Walker for a passage in H.M.S. "Cossack," for myself and the persons named in the margin, from the Cape of Good Hope to Auckland, in New Zealand

• 2. I considered it to be my duty to avail myself of the most rapid and direct means which I could find of reaching New Zealand, for the intelligence received of the terms of peace offered to the Natives of the Waitara renders it probable that war must break out in some other part of the Islands It is, therefore, a matter of great importance, if I am to conduct these affairs to a conclusion that I should arrive at the scene of action as rapidly as possible. It is, also, by no means impossible that the assistance which may be given by another ship of war on the New Zealand station-may prove of great advantage m bringing about a satisfactory solution of the disturbed state of affairs prevailing there. I therefore, as I could obtain the assistance at the Cape, thought I ought not to throw away a chance which may prove of much benefit to Her Majesty's service.

I have, &c.,

G.Grey

His Grace the Duke of Newcastle, K.G., &c.