Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 24. — Copy of a Despatch from Sir E. Bulwer Lytton to Governor Gore Browne, C.B

No. 24.
Copy of a Despatch from Sir E. Bulwer Lytton to Governor Gore Browne, C.B.

Sir,—

Downing Street, 20th November, 1858.

I have received your despatch of number and date as per margin, enclosing a memorial addressed by the inhabitants of New Plymouth to the General Assembly, together with a report on that address by the Native Secretary, and a further report of a debate in the House of Representatives.

There are many questions of policy to be pursued by your Government to the Natives, which are raised in these papers, and for many years to come they will be attended with difficulties of no ordinary kind; but I rely with confidence upon your judgment, and I concur in the views which you have on this, as on several previous occasions, expressed.

A straightforward and equitable course of proceeding towards the Natives, especially in those negotiations which relate to the purchase or cession of land, is not only a matter of duty, but will, I am persuaded, be found to be most consistent with the interest of the colonists and the general peace and welfare of the colony.

I have, &c.,

E. B. Lytton.

Governor Gore Browne, C.B., &c., New Zealand.