Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 31.]

No. 31.

Resolution of the Provincial Council of Hawke's Bay.

Provincial Council Chamber, Napier, 20th March, 1860.

That the Provincial Council of Hawke's Bay, ere it terminates its second session, is desirous of placing on record its full and entire sympathy with the Province of Taranaki, at present under martial law owing to the meddling of disaffected aborigines. That this Council also congratulates the Province of Taranaki on the manly and self-relying spirit which evidently appears to animate the bosom of its settlers, and on the very efficient aid so promptly rendered by the Governor of this colony. And while heartily and unanimously thanking His Excellency for the same, and for his equitable and open declaration of policy,—which this Council also sincerely believes to be both suited to and beneficial for the entire interests of the Province of Hawke's Bay,—it further begs to be allowed to express the hope that such policy will be for the future everywhere alike steadily and zealously adhered to. And that a copy of this resolution be early forwarded by the Speaker of this Council to His Excellency the Governor and to the Superintendent of the Province of Taranaki.

Geo. Thos. Fannin, Clerk of the Council.

His Excellency the Governor to the Speaker of the Provincial Council of Hawke's Bay.

The Governor's Reply.

Sir,—

Government House, Auckland, 6th April, 1860.

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your letter conveying to me a resolution passed unanimously by the Provincial Council of Hawke's Bay; and in return I beg to offer the Council my best thanks for the expressions of confidence contained in their resolution. It may be satisfactory to the Council to know that the policy in question has been approved by Her Majesty's Government.

I have, &c.,

T. Gore Browne.

Joseph Rhodes, Esq.,

Speaker of the Provincial Council of Hawke's Bay.