Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 45. — Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley to Governor Sir G. F. Bowen

No. 45.
Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley to Governor Sir G. F. Bowen.

Respecting the Maori Meeting at Parihaka. Downing Street, 24th December, 1870.

Sir,—

I have to acknowledge your Despatch No. 123, of September 24th, enclosing a memorandum by Mr. Fox, expressing a hope, with reference to Native affairs, that two vessels of war at the least may be stationed in the New Zealand waters for the exclusive protection of the colony; and also a memorandum by Mr. McLean on the subject of the meeting of Natives at Parihaka.

Her Majesty's Government learn with pleasure that the presence of the "Blanche" near Taranaki was the means of giving a feeling of security to the inhabitants of New Plymouth during the recent Native meeting at Parihaka, and they have no intention of withdrawing the instructions already given to the officers commanding Her Majesty's ships to show themselves on the coasts of New Zealand, and in certain emergencies to assist in protecting the lives and property of the settlers; but those instructions must necessarily be subject to the general exigencies of the service, as in the case of all other parts of the Empire, and Her Majesty's Government could not enter into a positive engagement that a certain portion of Her Majesty's naval forces should be exclusively employed on the New Zealand coasts.

I have to add that a copy of this despatch will be sent to Commodore Stirling, for his information and guidance.

I have, &c.,

Kimberley.

Governor Sir G. F. Bowen, G.C.M.G.