Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 7. — Extract from Mr. Sub-Protector McLean's Report, dated Taranaki, New Plymouth, 11th July, 1845

No. 7.
Extract from Mr. Sub-Protector McLean's Report, dated Taranaki, New Plymouth, 11th July, 1845.

Taupo.Report of Visit.

At Taupo I met with a most friendly reception from Te Heuheu, when, after partaking of some food, he introduced me to various members of his family, and commenced talking about the Bay of Islands, of Mr. Shortland's visit, and of the pleasure he had in seeing him and hearing the news from the North, adding that he was always happy to be visited by respectable Europeans.

Conversation with Te Heuheu.

In speaking of Hone Heke, he said he considered him to be in the right; that he was asserting his freedom and that of his country; that pakehas (Europeans) had advised him to do what he had done; and that the British Government intended to deprive the New Zealanders of their lands, their liberty, and their rights as chieftains, but that they would be found a determined race of people, strong, well skilled in war, and not easily subdued. The English were an insatiable people, desirous of conquering all nations; that Napoleon Buonaparte would have been a match for them, had he not been taken by stratagem. The Americans also were too strong for us, but the Natives of Port Jackson had fallen victims to our encroachment, which, he feared, would ultimately be the fate of himself, and his people.

Iwikau.

Iwikau, his brother, urged the same arguments, saying that he was himself at the Bay of Islands when Captain Hobson first arrived; that the Ngapuhi Natives received His Excellency with suspicion, having been told that his object was to deprive them of their lands, which occasioned the movements of Government to be watched with jealousy and suspicion; and that the disasters that have happened since were the natural result. He had frequently advised other tribes not to encourage the settlement of any Europeans amongst them, excepting traders, who brought them blankets and tobacco in exchange for their productions, and never troubled them for land; but that he and his brother had, notwithstanding, been imposed upon by one who had taken several pigs from them without payment, for which he would have satisfaction from some European traveller passing that way. This was one reason why he had not more strenuously prohibited the robberies on the settlers at Whanganui. The chiefs along the coast might very properly have settled amongst them….

Whanganui River.

On passing down the River Whanganui I was struck with the denseness of the population on the northern banks, the inaccessible situations of many of their pas, only to be approached by ladders up the steep sides of precipices, which places, as fenced by Nature, have been their safeguard when attacked by the irresistible force of the Waikato Tribe, who failed in their attempts to subdue the inhabitants of those rugged wilds, when other parts of the Island were obliged to submit. This part of the river has been rarely visited by Europeans, which caused them to think the more of my coming to see them at a time when the Island was under such excitement. They manifested great anxiety to learn the intentions of the Waikato and Taupo tribes towards them, from whom they were in daily fear of an attack, more especially those towards the coast, who, their situation being more protected from the features of that part of the country, had greater reason to dread a hostile invasion. They were pleased to hear that Te Heuheu had preferred my interference to a visit from himself and all to the Mission-station at the entrance of the river, promised to refrain for the future from provoking the anger of the tribes in the interior, and through me wrote a friendly letter to Te Heuheu by the return of the canoe that carried me down the river.

Te Ihupuku.

In returning from Whanganui to New Plymouth, I visited Te Ihupuku, where there is always a large body of Natives. These I found agitated by various fears not only of an attack from Taupo, but also from a suspicion that the Government, after quelling the revolt in the North, might be inclined to seek satisfaction from the inhabitants of the other parts of the Island, agreeably to their own custom in such cases. I assured them from the latter they need have no apprehensions; and from the former their own conduct would be the best preventive, giving the message sent by Te Heuheu. At this they were greatly pleased, and appeared to think the presence of a young Waikato chief with me an earnest of good feeling towards them.

Two Murders committed on the West Coast.

The want of influential chiefs amongst this people is generally felt by themselves, as well as by their Missionaries and Protectors, being often led to commit serious acts that well-disposed chiefs would prevent, and which sometimes end in loss of life. I am sorry to state two instances of this nature have recently occurred at Iringahoe, near Waimate. The death of one was occasioned by his having killed some pigs that were destroying his kumara plantations, and the other in a quarrel between two young men about a Native female. These murders caused a considerable sensation, some of the Natives desiring that the murderers should be brought to New Plymouth to be punished page 127according to English law, whilst others opposed it. I would here remark that the frequent visits of the Protector to those parts of the district less under the influence of chieftainship would prevent many such occurrences, by deciding the disputes which lead to them. The numbers of Natives returning from captivity, as well as from Cook Straits, also frequently occasion disputes. Some of these I was enabled to settle, which having done I returned to New Plymouth, where, I was glad to find, no serious difference had arisen during my absence.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Sub-Protector of Aborigines, Western District.

The Chief Protector of Aborigines.