Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 16. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor Hobson to the Principal Secretary of State for the Colonies

No. 16.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor Hobson to the Principal Secretary of State for the Colonies.

Port Nicholson.—Forwarding Chief Protector's Report on the Occupation of Lands by the New Zealand Company. Government House, Auckland, New Ulster, 13th November, 1841.

My Lord,—

I have the honour to lay before, your Lordship the report of George Clarke, Esq., Chief Protector of Aborigines, on the state of feeling evinced by the Native chiefs in and about Port Nicholson respecting the occupation of lands in that neighbourhood by the New Zealand Company.

From the conflicting and various statements and contradictions which are advanced on this subject, I find it impossible to arrive at any definite conclusion. Nor ought any decision to be come to until the case is fairly weighed and considered by the Commissioner who is appointed to investigate these claims. To avert, however, the mischievous consequences that would result from any collision page 167between the settlers and the Natives, I thought it right to hear the complaints of the Natives against the encroachments of the Company, and to pledge the Government to protect the aborigines in the possession of their pas and cultivated grounds, unless it is proved that they have sold them.

According to Mr. Clarke's experience, there is no instance of Natives selling their dwelling-places or cultivated lands except when they quit the spot on which they are situated; and I certainly have found that to be the custom in every case that has come under my own observation.

At Port Nicholson there are two pas, situated in the most eligible parts of the town, which the agent of the Company has included in the block he purchased from a chief named Wharepouri, although they are owned and occupied by other chiefs. The agent of the Company asserts, however, that these other chiefs shared in the payment for the land, and consequently alienated their rights. This the Natives most pertinaciously deny; and Mr. Clarke maintains that such a proceeding would be completely at variance with Native custom, as the two tribes have continued to reside on their pas ever since. The agent for the Company, I suppose calculating on getting possession, has, notwithstanding the Native claims, included these pas in the disposable land, and has allowed them to be selected by purchasers. This very dubious step may involve the Company in great embarrassment and litigation, as against any compulsion the Natives shall be amply protected by the Government, and they seem perfectly resolute in resisting all offers of compensation. In other places I fear it will be found that the precipitancy of the Company's agent will involve the Company and the settlers in still greater difficulties: resistance is offered to them in every quarter. At Porirua, which immediately adjoins Wellington, the Natives deny the right of the Company, and are prepared to resist them, even by force. On the east bank of the Whanganui the same feeling exists; and at Taranaki the powerful tribe of the Waikatos threaten to dislodge the settlers, as they did not buy the land from them, who claim it in right of conquest.

During my stay at Port Nicholson I had an opportunity of meeting many of the resisting chiefs. Those residing in the Town of Wellington, who feel that they are completely at the mercy of the white people, rely solely on the Government for support, and say, "If the Governor desert us, we will retire to our original place of residence at Tarauaki." The Natives of Kapiti, who claim the land at Porirua, speak out more boldly, asserting that they will surrender their land but with their lives; and they have already made a show of following up this determination, by interrupting the construction of a road through the disputed lands, and obstructing the communication between Wellington and Whanganui, by tapuing a river over which it was necessary to pass.

On these latter subjects I informed the principal chief, Hiko, that the right of constructing roads through the colony belonged to the Queen; and that, whilst I faithfully supported the Natives in their just rights, I would as firmly maintain those of Her Majesty, and that I trusted that I should hear no more of such resistance to measures which were intended alike for the benefit of the Native and European population. He received this hint with perfect good feeling, and promised that in future no interruption should be offered. His discussion with Colonel Wakefield respecting his land is fully reported by Mr. Clarke; and I must say it left an impression on my mind that he has not sold it.

The Natives of Whanganui have followed a very similar course with those of Porirua, as will be seen from the enclosed extract of the Police Magistrate's report. I have reason, however, to hope that a payment of money will induce these people to forego any further opposition; and the principal chief of the Waikato Tribe, Te Wherowhero, has already consented to accept compensation, to the value of £250, for the claims of his tribe on the lands of Taranaki.

I have communicated to Colonel Wakefield that the native pas and cultivations must be respected; and that, for the rest, it might be necessary to make further payments to remove all difficulties. I trust this course will have the effect of preserving harmony between the settlers and the Natives.

I have, &c.,

W. Hobson.