Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 29. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey, K.C.B., to the Right Hon. the Earl of Carnarvon

No. 29.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey, K.C.B., to the Right Hon. the Earl of Carnarvon.

Government House, Wellington, 8th January, 1867.

Mr Lord,—

• 1. I have this morning returned to this place, a few hours before the Panama steamer sails with the English mail.
  • 2. I consequently have no time to make a lengthened report to you, but I am sure that you will be happy to hear that this country continues tranquil, and is rapidly improving in every respect.
  • 3. On my recent journey I have passed through the North Island, traversing its central and least accessible districts, portions of which had not been visited by any European for several years.
  • 4. I was everywhere received with joy and rejoicings by the Native population, even in those districts where their losses of men during the war had been large. But these men had all fallen in places remote from their own territory, where they had gone to join their fellow-countrymen who were in arms against us, and their surviving relations admitted in the most unreserved manner that we were not to blame for the large loss of life which had taken place.
  • 5. I consider the Native population to be now in a better state than I have ever previously known it.
  • 6. The Natives express the greatest anxiety that Europeans should settle amongst them. They cheerfully conform to the views and wishes of the Government upon all matters; indeed, they appear to desire to be directed and to be shown what they should do to render practicable a rapid amalgamation between the Europeans and themselves.
  • 7. I met everywhere, in districts which had been regarded as unsafe, the utmost respect, and I was treated with kindness so attentive and considerate that it was quite touching.
  • 8. I feel sure that the European population, finding from my journey that they can again safely traverse the interior of the country, will begin to spread into all parts of it, developing, the great resources of valuable districts which are now but little known, and the advance of this Northern Island in wealth and population will consequently be very rapid.
  • 9. In this advance in wealth and prosperity the Native population, who are extensive landholders, will largely share, and I feel quite satisfied that New Zealand, now ceasing to be a drain upon the resources of Great Britain, will be regarded as one of the most tranquil and valuable portions of the Empire.

I have, &c.,

G. Grey.

The Right Hon. the Earl of Carnarvon.