Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

His Excellency's Reply

His Excellency's Reply.

Gentlemen,—

It is fitting that I should briefly acknowledge the far more than mere friendly words which you have addressed to me on my removal from my office of Governor of New Zealand. These words, coming from those who not only have seen and known the trials and difficulties I have had to encounter, but who also amidst those difficulties have been my advisers and fellow-labourers, are very valuable to me, and I shall often think of them in my retirement. I will only further say to those who by their advice, by their sympathy, and by their own trials and devotion to public duty, have so often guided my path in difficulties, and lightened the labours imposed upon me, that I thank them for the services they have rendered their Queen and country; that I also thank them for their affectionate farewell; and that, whatever may be the future trials and changes of my life, I shall always think myself fortunate that they were for so long given to me as companions and associates in the trying duties I had to perform in New Zealand.

Auckland, 28th December, 1867.

G. Grey.