Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 34. — Copy of a Despatch from his Grace the Duke of Buckingham to the Officer Administering the Government of New Zealand

No. 34.
Copy of a Despatch from his Grace the Duke of Buckingham to the Officer Administering the Government of New Zealand.

Downing Street, 22nd January, 1868.

Sir,—

I have received Sir George Grey's Despatch No. 115, of 30th October, written in acknowledgment of mine of 22nd August, No. 51, announcing the appointment of Sir George Bowen as his successor in the Government of New Zealand. Sir George Grey will have perceived from my Despatches Nos. 71 and 72, of 10th and 23rd November, and from that of the 28th December, No. 87, that his removal from New Zealand was merely consequent on the expiration of his term of office. The statement contained in Sir George Grey's Despatch No. 115, of the 30th October, was evidently made under the misapprehension that he had been prematurely recalled, the fact being that his period of administration had expired; but I shall nevertheless lay that despatch before Her Majesty.

I have, &c.,

Buckingham and Chandos.

The Officer Administering the Government of New Zealand.