Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 37. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir G. F., Bowen, G. C. M. G., to his Grace the Duke of Buckingham

page 187

No. 37.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir G. F., Bowen, G. C. M. G., to his Grace the Duke of Buckingham.

Governor Grey's Departure from New Zealand. Government House, Wellington, 8th September, 1868.

My Lord Duke,—

With reference to my Despatch No. 84, of the 28th August ultimo, I am now requested by my Responsible Advisers to transmit to your Grace a further letter, which has been forwarded to the Colonial Secretary for that purpose by Sir George Grey.

2. I beg-leave to take this opportunity of reporting that Sir George Grey will leave Wellington for England by the Panama mail steamer on the afternoon of this day. He has already received numerous addresses and other demonstrations of respect and esteem, on the expiration of his term of office. Before his embarkation to-day he will be entertained at a public luncheon, at which Sir David Monro, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, will preside. I have been invited to be present on this occasion; and I feel much satisfaction in evincing my sense of the personal courtesy and consideration which I have received since my arrival in New Zealand from my able and accomplished predecessor, whose name will be inseparably connected with the history of this colony.

I have, &c.,

G. F. Bowen.

His Grace the Duke of Buckingham and Chandos.
P.S.—The demonstration in honour of Sir George Grey on his departure from New Zealand was very successful.