Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 42. — Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. Earl Granville, E.G., to Governor Sir G. F. Bowen, G.C.M.G

No. 42.
Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. Earl Granville, E.G., to Governor Sir G. F. Bowen, G.C.M.G.

Downing Street, 23rd April, 1869.

Sir,—

I have received your Despatches Nos. 14 and 20, of the 31st January and 12th February: the former enclosing a report from Colonel McDonnell of a successful expedition made by him, at the head of a party of Native cavalry, to the pa of the rebel chief Titokowaru; the latter forwarding a despatch from Colonel Whitmore, reporting the evacuation of the pa by Titokowaru, and other positions which he had occupied. I am greatly shocked to hear from Colonel McDonnell's report of the barbarous manner in which the remains of some of the colonial troops were treated, and I can hardly express the feelings of horror with which I learn that there is reason to fear that one of them was burnt alive. I am glad to find that Colonel Whitmore's proceedings on the West Coast appear likely to justify the estimate of his capacity which I was led to form by the accounts of his success in the neighbourhood of Turanga.

I have, &c.,

Granville.

Governor Sir G. F. Bowen, G.C.M.G.