Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 5. — The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to His Excellency Lieutenant-Governor Hobson

No. 5.
The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to His Excellency Lieutenant-Governor Hobson.

Wellington.—Reporting his Arrival and Proceedings at that Port. Port Nicholson, 20th June, 1840.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform your Excellency that I arrived at this port on the evening of Tuesday, the 2nd June. I immediately sent Mr. Cole on shore with the Proclamations, and a letter to Colonel Wakefield, informing him that it was my intention to land to read them next day; but I was page 161prevented by a heavy gale from landing until Thursday afternoon, previous to which I was waited on by Dr. Evans, Mr. Chaffers, and Mr. Tod, who informed me that the settlers were highly delighted at my arrival. They assured me that they had been greatly misrepresented. Dr. Evans stated that the council had been formed to keep the peace and for mutual protection until the arrival of your Excellency, or any persons appointed by you. I told him that I was disposed to view their proceeding in that light, provided the council vanished, and that the flags were immediately hauled down, but that any proposal from any body of persons assuming any power or rights I should consider hostile. He assured me of the loyalty of the emigrants, and that my wishes should be complied with. I landed at 2 o'clock, accompanied by Lieutenants Smart and Best, and attended by the mounted police. We were received by Colonel Wakefield, Dr. Evans, Captain Smith, R.N., and all the principal inhabitants. The Proclamations were responded to by three hearty cheers and a royal salute from the Europeans, and with a war-dance and general discharge of musketry from the Natives, who assembled in great numbers. I was again assured of the loyalty of the settlers, and that they were actuated in their proceedings solely with a view to preserve the peace and to protect their property. I have great pleasure in informing your Excellency that Her Majesty's government is fully established, and that both the European and Native population are in a very satisfactory state.

I have, &c.,

Willoughby Shortland,

Colonial Secretary.

His Excellency Lieutenant-Governor Hobson, Russell.