Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 61. — Copy of a Despatch from Governor the Most Hon. the Marquis of Normanby to the Right Hon. the Earl of Carnarvon

No. 61.
Copy of a Despatch from Governor the Most Hon. the Marquis of Normanby to the Right Hon. the Earl of Carnarvon.

Retirement of Sir Donald McLean. Government House, Wellington, N.Z., 14th December, 1876.

My Lord,—

I have the honour to inform your Lordship that Sir Donald McLean has resigned his office as Native Minister, and has retired from the Government.

2.I have been for some time aware that Sir Donald McLean has been anxious to be relieved from the duties and responsibilities of office as soon as his services could be dispensed with without detriment to the public service, but I regret to say that his immediate retirement has been precipitated by indisposition, though not, I trust, of a permanent character.
3.Fortunately, however, owing chiefly, I believe, to the judicious policy adopted by Sir Donald McLean in his conduct of Native affairs, there is nothing which would lead me to think that any inconvenience will arise from his retiring at the present time, though I cannot help expressing my sincere regret that, in the consideration of Native affairs, I shall be deprived of the advice of one so thoroughly acquainted with the language, feelings, and customs of the Natives, and who has always exerted the great influence which he undoubtedly possessed with the Maoris in such a wise and judicious manner.
4.Mr. Whitaker has resigned the offices of Postmaster-General and Commissioner of Telegraphs, and is now Attorney-General; while the seat in the Executive Council vacated by Sir Donald McLean has been filled by the appointment of Mr.Ormond, with the office of Postmaster-General and Commissioner of Telegraphs. The administration of Native affairs will be conducted by Dr. Pollen, the Colonial Secretary.

I have, &c.,

Normanby.

The Right Hon. the Earl of Carnarvon.