Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 7. — Notice

page 162

No. 7.
Notice.

Disputed Possession of Land at the Taranaki Pa, on Te Aro Flat.

Whereas on the evening of Wednesday last, the 26th of August, a serious breach of the peace took place relative to certain lands in dispute between the New Zealand Company and the Natives of Pa "Taranaki," and in order to prevent a recurrence of the same, I, Willoughby Shortland, a Magistrate and Colonial Secretary of New Zealand, having entered into an agreement with the Natives by which they have assigned over and yielded up to me, in the name and on the behalf of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, all their rights, titles, and interest in the lands aforesaid, do hereby give notice that all persons wishing to occupy any part of the said lands, until the question as to title shall be determined, or until the pleasure of His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor shall be known, will be placed in possession by application made to me, through Colonel Wakefield, the principal agent of the New Zealand Company; and all persons who shall attempt to take possession without such permission will be proceeded against according to law.

Given under my hand, at Port Nicholson, this 29th day of August, 1840.

Willoughby Shortland, J.P., Colonial Secretary.