Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 12. — The Chief Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 12.
The Chief Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Mr. Fairburn's Land.—Portion allotted to the Natives. Protector's Office, Auckland, 8th November, 1842.

Sir,—

Referring to a letter from the Surveyor-General, referred to me under blank cover of the.7th: instant, I do myself the honour to forward the following information to. His-Excellency the; Officer'; Administering the Government. It was always understood by the Natives that a portion, of rthe, lands of Mr. Fairburn, amounting, according to his own showing, to one-third of the-whole, should be retransferred to them.

2.That the Natives had always liberty to cultivate on whatever portion of Mr. Fairburn's land they thought fit.
3.That several little tribes are now, and have always been, living upon the said land, and others have been impatiently waiting to have portions of the said land pointed out to them as their residence; and that, until something-decisive be done for the Natives relative to rhese lands, in selecting eligible situations for them, it appears to me a measure equally unsafe and unsatisfactory, both to the Government and their British and aboriginal subjects, to proceed to sell these lands.

I would therefore suggest that the earliest attention of His Excellency should be given to this subject, so that surveys may proceed and sales be effected.

I have, &c.,

George Clarke,
Chief Protector.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.