Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 4.]

No. 4.

The Chief Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Enclosing Circular to Natives. Protector's Office, Auckland, 16th July, 1841.

Sir,—

In accordance with His Excellency's minute, I have the honour herewith to enclose a revised copy of the original circular; and, if sanctioned by the Governor, I have to request five hundred copies of the same may be immediately printed for the use of the Commissioners.

I have, &c.,

George Clarke,
Chief Protector.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.
Approved.—W. H. 19th July, 1841.
page 4

Enclosure.
Circular.

Natives to appear in Land Claims Court. day of, 184.

Friend,—

This book is to inform you of the sitting of the Queen's Investigators [or Commissioners] of Land for New Zealand at, and they will inquire as to the equity of the land sales by the Europeans from the New Zealanders, aud they then will report to the Governor, who will acknowledge or invalidate them. The Governor says [to you] that you, the land-sellers, should come at the same time with the Europeans, on the day of the month, to give correct evidence concerning the validity or invalidity of the purchase of your lands. Hearken! this only is the-time you have for speaking; this, the entire acknowledgment of your land sale for ever and ever

From your friend,

W. Hobson.